News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Mysterious Curative powers

Started by James Landi, October 26, 2015, 10:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Landi

I had a good friend who served as a Cadillac service manager for several decades in a busy NJ dealership.  He'd often site examples of Cadillacs that had some apparently serious and costly issues that were developing, had been diagnosed, and repairs denied by owners, only to have the cars return months later not demonstrating any of those seriously threateningly expensive issues. For example, my 85 Eldorado was leaking transmission oil at a rate of around a quart every 3 weeks... it has entirely stopped leaking... curative powers??? Is your car possessed with happy spirits?

Steve Passmore

Perhaps its now all run out James ;D
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

James Landi

More than curative powers, if the transmission is working as well as it is now withOUT fluid, we'd be discussing a miracle!

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I mentioned the heater/AC on the Fleetwood fixed itself about ten days ago. Could only get full A/C on the way into town and on the way home the next day, I about roasted. (The heat was more welcome than the A/C.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

bcroe

Quote from: James Landi on October 26, 2015, 10:22:04 PM
I had a good friend who served as a Cadillac service manager for several decades in a busy NJ dealership.  He'd often site examples of Cadillacs that had some apparently serious and costly issues that were developing, had been diagnosed, and repairs denied by owners, only to have the cars return months later not demonstrating any of those seriously threateningly expensive issues. For example, my 85 Eldorado was leaking transmission oil at a rate of around a quart every 3 weeks... it has entirely stopped leaking... curative powers???   

I had one car leaking at a high rate like that, and it turned out a cooler line had rubbed through
after its support failed.  A 79 E car leaked badly because the final drive wasn't properly secured
to the trans output.  You might have a leak that begins when the fluid had drained out of the
torque converter and filled the trans to a very high level.  Of course it gets pumped back in the
first seconds after the car is started.  If the converter stopped draining so much, the "leak"
might go away.  Bruce Roe

The Tassie Devil(le)

The best "curative" power is to start to sell a car.

No matter how bad it seems, as soon as one decides to sell a car, for some unknown reason, the faults are gone, and it starts to run so well that you are tempted to end the sale.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Tpicks55

Divine intervention or your neighbor is refilling it for ya lol.
75 Eldorado Convertible
94 Deville Concurs
2019 Lincoln Continental
2016 Cadillac XTS

Blade

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on October 27, 2015, 06:25:27 PM
No matter how bad it seems, as soon as one decides to sell a car, for some unknown reason, the faults are gone, and it starts to run so well that you are tempted to end the sale.

... or just the new owner has not discovered your naughty secrets yet!   >:D

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Blade on October 28, 2015, 12:20:52 AM
... or just the new owner has not discovered your naughty secrets yet!   >:D
No, the car runs really well before the new purchaser has been found.   This makes you wonder if you are doing the right thing, selling such a nice-running car.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

James Landi

Bruce,
I know exactly what you mean, and it's especially painful if you've just sold your old gal that's recently decided to run fine, and just fallen in love with another well used Cadillac that has a bunch of hidden defects that create heartbreaking buyers' remorse.