News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Speedometer Reading 15 MPH in Park

Started by Jon S, October 29, 2015, 10:43:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon S

Took the '58 out of storage and noticed at the first stop sign it was registering 30 MPH.  above 30 MPH the needle is steady and I had lubricated it last year with graphite/oil.  After driving it for a bit, I decided to put it in reverse to see if that would correct it.  The needle about disappeared and now reads 12 - 15 MPH in Park.  Not sure if a good run at 65 will cure it (haven't tried that yet).  When last used it returned to zero just fine and still moves nice and smoothly - no shaking.  Thoughts before I pull the dash pod out?
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Blade

Jon,

What kind of transmission do the '58s have? The '59 cables are known to act up but not exactly sure how and where, I heard most occur at the connection on the transmission.

Jon S

The standard 4 speed Hydramatic - same as 1959.  I took the cable out last year and lubricated it as there was a little fluctuation with the needle.  After lubrication it was steady. When I put it away last June everything was fine.  Maybe a garage gremlin?
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Dan LeBlanc

Has the cluster ever been removed?  There's a little brass plug near where the cable connects.  Remove it.  In there is a wick that you keep wet with a few drops of lightweight oil that helps keep things lubricated.

When these cars were built, this was likely sufficient for many years of service.  Now, we're at the point well beyond what designers expected things to last.  Stuff like that will need to be tended to.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Jon S

Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Jon S

Do I have to pull speedo out of the housing?  I don't see anything near the connection other than bulbs:
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Dan LeBlanc

Looks like there's a cover over it on your 58.  I know on my 53 spare cluster, it's in plain sight.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

savemy67

Hello Jon,

Your first post mentioned the speedo reads 12 - 15 in Park.  By this, do you mean that is where the needle settles when the car is not running?

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Jon S

Exactly.  Now down to five after an other Reverse run.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Coupe Deville

WOW! That is one clean 58. That perfect dash would put my 57' to shame. And my friends 58'...

-Gavin

-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Jon S

Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Jon S

Well, a short run at 55 MPH has resolved the speedometer resting position!  I wasn't looking forward to removing the dash pod.

Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Blade

Glad it's working now Jon, yes it's a hassle to remove the dash. I am still wondering why it goes off and then back again, you might want to pull it regardless and lubricate.

And I agree with Gavin, that is one well maintained car especially for an all original!

Jon S

Thanks Blade. I'm thinking it's just from being in storage all summer. It is perfectly smooth since the last lubrication. If it acts up then I will pull the dash or if clock stops keeping accurate time.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Tito Sobrinho

It needs lubrication as the problem will unfortunately reoccur.
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

Jon S

It has maybe 200 miles since I lubricated it last year. Took cable out, cleaned it, lubed it and reinstalled it. I think it was a fluke but will monitor it.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Blade

Probably just sticking a little and need more running.

Just got the clock going in the convert again after previous owner had the car sit for 20 years. Little lubrication and it's running again. Things like these still amaze me, these old cars were just done right.

Jon S

Quote from: Blade on October 31, 2015, 04:27:28 PM
Probably just sticking a little and need more running.

Just got the clock going in the convert again after previous owner had the car sit for 20 years. Little lubrication and it's running again. Things like these still amazes me, these old cars were just done right.

They were over-designed, thank goodness!
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

wbdeford

Quote from: Jon S on October 29, 2015, 01:40:13 PM
Do I have to pull speedo out of the housing?  I don't see anything near the connection other than bulbs:

Here is the back of an actual '58 cluster.  I didn't do any further disassembly
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

fishnjim

For what it's worth:
"They" told me to always use white grease, not graphite on the speedo-cable, for lube.   
They used to make a tool to inject grease in the GM cable sheaths.   It was a common source of noise back in the day.   McVey also told me that when I bought a '58 replacement cable after he checked my dash pod last year.   Also not to use the universal cables with the plastic ends.