News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1970 Cadillac vinyl top protectant

Started by Scot Minesinger, October 30, 2015, 11:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

Have not owned a car with a vinyl top for more than 30 years.  All the Griot's and Bill Hirsch's of the world have leather and convertible top applicants to the nines.  What is everyone using to protect their vinyl tops for Caddys of the 1960's and 1970's?

On my 1970 Cadillac SDV with original perfect vinyl top (no bubbles, no flaws, like new) what is everyone using as a protectant such as Armoral (only I hear that makes it brittle).  The top is cleaned and rejuvenated, needs protecting.  The car is outside maybe 100 hours in sunlight a year and spends all other time in garage.  Started looking for this product and came up empty.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

The best and IMHO the only foolproof protection is an outdoor car cover.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

76eldo

I trust Maguires line of products and they make a vinyl top coating.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Scot Minesinger

Greg,

Car is stored in a garage 8600 hours of the 8760 hour year, just need it to look nice be protected when outside.

Brian,

Thanks will try the Maguires

Dan LeBlanc

You want to stay away from ANYTHING silicone based.  303 Aerospace protectant is a water based product that doesn't leave an oily residue.  Oily residues will attract dirt.  303 comes very highly recommended.  It also has water repellant properties, so, if it starts to lose the ability to sheet water, you know it's time to reapply.

The problem with silicone based protectants is they will cause plasticizer migration- IE, they pull the plasticizers that keep the vinyl soft and pliable out of the material and give it that dried out, brittle problem.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

936CD69

X2 on the 303 protectant, works great, used on the white phaeton (vinyl) roof on my 93, no discoloration or dirt issues after 4 years of use
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

Jon S

Scot -

I bought a gallon of this several years ago. I believe it's the best stuff out there. I attached a picture of my non-Cadillac which i applied it to a few weeks ago:

Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Scot Minesinger

Tried the 303 protectant today and it worked great, exactly the results was hoping for.  Took it for a drive today with all four windows down - gets almost as many thumbs up and attention as the red convertible.

Dan, the 61 Fleetwood in the SS looked beyond amazing.  Congratulations on such a great looking car. 

BTW it is nice when my issues are what type of protectant?, what color?, rather than exhaust, suspension and etc.

beastly beauties

Just an FYI for those out there looking to find a solution to vinyl top dressings. I used to buy everything on the market back in the 1970's for a great simple long lasting dressing. No such product existed. I stumbled upon the use of a product that stood the test of time and it was ""Future Vinyl Floor Wax! Best stuff I ever used and all my cars back then never saw the inside of a garage. I lived in the northeast and they saw some nasty weather. I still have some now. I remember a friend of mine telling me that dealerships were using Mop and Glow to shine up engine compartments. I know that was very temporary and would scale of in no time because it was a watered down floor wax. But I swear the Future wax wore like iron, never cracked, yellowed, and stayed shiny for a long, time. It's claim to fame was its durability to hold a shine on floors and never yellow. You soak a new clean artificial square sponge and apply it with one non stop stroke, front to back, reapplying for each stroke. The square sponge gave  control on where it was coating. Do not use it on a hot top as it dries too fast before you complete the adjoining strokes. It can be removed carefully if needed with a few passes of a sponge or rags soaked in ammonia. Careful not to get on painted surfaces with ammonia cause it will strip that wax too. Sometimes the best solutions are right in front of our noses.     David Symonds

Scot Minesinger

The floor wax probably did a great job of preventing moisture from getting underneath the top too if you slathered into the seams and edges real good.  That was probably a strong factor in your success with this product. Since my top has no bubbles was looking for something to seal it with.

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on November 01, 2015, 06:28:34 PM
Dan, the 61 Fleetwood in the SS looked beyond amazing.  Congratulations on such a great looking car. 

Thanks Scot!
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

If a top is beginning to show signs of deterioration, I'd err on the side of Meguiars products which are usually excellent. Never use ArmorAll.

For vinyl tops in that are excellent condition, the best protection is simply to limit sunlight exposure, otherwise just leave it alone.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Scot Minesinger

Eric,

Car is always garaged, and only outside when driven on nice days (say 100 trips per year at 2hrs each average, so 200 hours of sunlight per year).  All my cars are driven and enjoyed, and hopefully the top will remain in great shape.  The first 45 years and 36k miles it has stayed perfect, hopefully the next 45 years and 36k miles it will too.  The protectant was more to add a shine than anything else, as it was real dull.

jwjohnson86

Do you also advise Meguiars for interior plastics such as the dash pad and door panels?  Or something else? 
1970 DeVille Convertible 472 cid

http://bit.ly/1NhHpdt

Scot Minesinger

That 303 protectant is probably perfect, it shined up the top.  I will use it on my interior parts too.  Silicone based products I hear are not really good for the vinyl and plastics long term.