News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

I need some color advice

Started by FinCad, October 31, 2015, 06:23:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinCad

Hi,

I found an interesting color which I would like to have in my Cadillac.

Many people say it´s Dusty Rose 48A, but I think that is pretty far from that.

Anyone able to recognize this color ? Maybe it´s not from Cadillac paint charts ?

Thanks
Cadillac Eldorado Convertible 1955
Cadillac Eldorado Seville 1957
Cadillac Series 62 "flat top" 1959
Cadillac Eldorado 1967

Walter Youshock

It's not Dusty Rose.  It's not even a 1957 Cadillac color offering.

Whatever it is, I think it looks sharp on the car...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

FinCad

...then we are aligned, I could not find anything from Cad color from any manufacturing year which is matching with this.

Thanks
Cadillac Eldorado 1967

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I once saw late '50s Desoto in a very similar color.

Looks nice on the Seville all the same.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Bill Young

That color is almost identical to 1969 Cadillac Code 47 Wisteria Poly , and there is a slightly darker variation of the same color Code 99 Chateau Mauve Firemist Poly. I hope this helps.

FinCad

this chateau mauve poly is really near...i tried to google picture from Cadillacs in that color, but did not found any. If anyone find please share, thanks
Cadillac Eldorado 1967

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
Why do people add poly after the paint name??? The color charts say NOTHING about poly.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

FinCad

i went to surf the picture galleries and found a 57 which is really near the color in the car I shared when starting the thread.

http://photos.cadillaclasalleclub.org/displayimage.php?album=59&pos=14

it is really close if not the same ?
Cadillac Eldorado 1967

Barry M Wheeler #2189

In checking my paint chip book, I found a chart which had two chips of 48 (and 48A) of 1957 Dusty Rose Poly. There was also a note saying that the color was changed to 48A. The chip is close enough to come to a couple of conclusions. The second photo referred to was at the 2014 GN, and a USA based car entering our judging (most likely) had the genuine color on it.

Given how color shots come over the web, the first car was either a close "modern" color or someone simply had his body man alter the paint slightly. I am not an expert, but don't modern two-step paints come out altered slightly from original chips with a brighter, smoother finish?

Recently, a poster was wanting the "right" maroon for his 1949 Cadillac and had had problems using a modern mix which came out different from what he was expecting.

Without raining on anyone's parade, could it be that we are seeing a mystery that "isn't?" In any case, I love the colour, too. (British spelling for emphasis.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

FinCad

hmm, I am still having the small headache...anyway your explanation is making sense also.
Anyone knowing who is the owner for the GN2014 seville ? That would open the color mystery easily if the owner would share the color code.
Cadillac Eldorado 1967

Walter Youshock

Dusty Rose 1 and 2 were very close in color.  Not so outstanding as to discontinue the name Dusty Rose and replace it with Oxblood.

This isn't Dusty Rose.  Furthermore, somebody went through a lot of trouble to get a matching top installed on this example

And I believe the early use of the term "poly" referenced a metallic vs. Standard paint.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

FinCad

i have understood also that poly has been "translated" freely as metallic paint
Cadillac Eldorado 1967

Bill Young

In the 1969 Cadillac catalogue the Coupe DeVille is shown in Chateau Mauve. My paint chip chart said poly by the way.

Jon S

I believe "poly" was added to the color description to indicate it was polyurethane paint. As to Dusty Rose, it is a much much lighter color (colour), but there was a color 52 Castile Maroon that looks like your colour:

Metallic pInts in the 1950's were referred to as "iredescents."
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

grandads59

a good automotive paint supply could probably scan the color (not sure what they call it) and tell you the color and what colors are used to make it.

Jon Hartwell

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: Jon S on October 31, 2015, 07:55:30 PM
I believe "poly" was added to the color description to indicate it was polyurethane paint. As to Dusty Rose, it is a much much lighter color (colour), but there was a color 52 Castile Maroon that looks like your colour:

Metallic pInts in the 1950's were referred to as "iredescents."
Jon,
Thanks for posting. That's exactly how I understand it. Somewhere around 1940 they were calling them luminesents.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Rich S

Could it be a newer Cadillac paint color? It looks a lot like the 1975 Cadillac color "Rosewood" or the 1989 Cadillac colors "Rosewood" or "Light Rosewood." It really looks nice on that car shown! Good luck finding the right paint!
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

FinCad

we are approaching the bottom of the pandoras box... indeed 1975 rosewood firemist could be very close and in this a bit poor picture roof is matching also the same way e.g is a bit darker http://automotivemileposts.com/cadillac/images/1975/cadi1975fbrosewoodfiremist.jpg
Cadillac Eldorado 1967

FinCad

Cadillac Eldorado 1967

Jon S

Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville