News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1970 Cadillac SDV blue colors?

Started by Scot Minesinger, November 01, 2015, 08:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

My 1970 Sedan deVille has a dark blue dash and dark blue around the windshield moldings.  The remainder of the interior is medium blue and seats are cloth with leather trim.  Although the upholstery is not ripped or really worn, it has a foam or plastic backing that is super hard and cracked underneath, uncomfortable to sit on.  The upholstery needs to be restored.  As discussed prior, I will save the original seat covers and plan to change the seats to leather.

I have the dealer 1970 Cadillac Upholstery Selections book.  The leather options are for blue are only dark blue (would match dash).  The dark blue leather would look so much richer and better than a matching medium blue leather.  The perfect original vinyl roof is dark blue and exterior is the original Patina Silver paint.

Trying to keep the car authentic looking, is a medium blue interior with dark blue dash and leather seats correct? 

If a medium blue leather was offered it would be a no brainer.  I know it is my car and can do anything I want and looking to your advice to keep from going the wrong way here.  My red convertible is 100% restored with 127k miles so I feel no guilt in driving the hell out of it and making it exactly how I want.

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Barry M Wheeler #2189

If you want leather, why not two-tone it? In your era, they still have SO interiors. I have seen a 1973 that had darker piping on white seats. A dark blue headliner and dark blue leather seats would be, well, awfully dark, which I assume is the thought floating around in your mind. And, as yet, we don't go down a build sheet checking things off while we judge your car...
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

RobW

I would say match the door panels. My 73 coupe has scarlet red leather and like yours the windshield moldings and dash are a deeper low gloss red. I believe this was done to reduce glare.
Rob Wirsing

Scot Minesinger

The 1970 upholstery pattern is set up for one tone only, unlike say a 59 Caddy.  It just will not look right two toned, and trying to stay correct.  Understand that the different color piping was possibly an option of mid 70's Cadillacs, but do not really care for that look too much.

That is the quandary, I probably should match the door panels rather than the dash.  However, the door panel leather color was not available in leather.  The fact may be that the car really cannot be done correctly in leather without changing entire interior to dark blue, which I'm not willing to do because the interior really is perfect as is.  My options for pure authenticity are try and find correct cloth interior or remove and repair original cloth to keep it 100% authentic.  The upholstery needs to be replaced and will probably do leather after I try for a "Past Presidents" award at GN.

This is a SDV one of the least collectable and desirable 1970 Cadillacs (only car less valuable is maybe a post Calais sedan), and it should be driven and enjoyed.  My attitude is if you are going to buy a closed car, make it a sedan, easier for rear seat passengers and more affordable.

RobW

sms has the original material. fill out the sample request form
Rob Wirsing

Scot Minesinger

Yes, heard that SMS is an option, but probably will not go that route.  Priority is leather first and authentic second.  Looks like cannot have my cake and eat it too.  If it was a real valuable car then would go original as reasonably possible.  Oh well poor me unauthentic leather, hope that is the worst of my problems this year.  Just cannot help myself. 

RobW

door panel leather? the only thing leather in these cars are the seats...and only the part you sit on and the part your back rests on. everything else is vinyl...the upper and lower door panels, the side bolsters on the seats and the lower leading edge of the seats as well as the seat backs are all vinyl
Rob Wirsing