News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1950s wheel rim color

Started by july76, November 06, 2015, 04:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

july76

I''ve just began the restoration of my 1953 series 62 sedan. The first step will be to repair and paint the wheel rims
  and install new tires. I wonder what color comes with the wheel rims from the factory. Red?

Dan LeBlanc

What colour was/is the exterior?  Usually they are colour keyed to the body. Vincennes red was an option.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

july76

Wheel rim color is something that isn't detailed in the literature and that you don't usually see in photos because
  is covered by the hubcap. I've heard that they were usually red or beige. Colour keyed to the body has more
  sense to me

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Yes, color keyed to the body color.
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Jay Friedman

According to the color charts in my 1955 Master Parts List, in '53 wheel colors could either be body color or Vincennes Red, which is a bright red.  In the case of 2-tone cars, the lower color is the body color the wheels can be.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Dan LeBlanc

I believe the only exception to that rule is if Court Grey was ordered in which case the wheels were Vincennes Red as standard.  Court grey wheels were the optional colour.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Joe G 12138

I recently stripped the paint off of the wheels on my 1950 series 62. The bottom layer was the original body color.    Joe G