News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

CHanging Dash lights on a '75 Eldorado

Started by ghhatley, November 11, 2015, 08:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghhatley

How difficult it it to change out the bulbs on the dash of this '75 eldorado? I'd like to change ALL the bulbs at once, what size(s) is/are used?
Thanks
Garage:
1958 Continental Convertible
1958 Cadillac Extended Deck gone
1958 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 S
1960 Continental Convertible
1967 Continental Convertible
1973 Eldorado Convertible
1975 Eldorado Convertible aka Cabernet Caddy

teaguejt

I can't speak to your exact car, but I'm currently restoring a '76 Fleetwood and they're supposed to be pretty similar. Since you haven't gotten any other replies, I hope this helps. When you say dash lights, do you mean the bulbs for the warning lights? If so, getting to them is not the easiest thing in the world. The work itself is fairly easy, but there are some large parts with lots of wiring going to them that must be removed from the car. You have to remove the upper dash, which means you have to remove the lower dash. I won't speculate on how for an Eldorado, but if it's like the others you have to remove the air vents, the two or three bolts behind them, and the lower dash screws to get the lower dash out, then a few bolts and screws for the upper dash. Be very careful of wiring running to various things on both parts of the dash.

Once the upper dash is out, flip it over the bulbs should be poking out from a printed circuit board. Just turn them to the left and pull them out. In my car, the bulbs are labeled GE-16L LM (or maybe GE-161 LM).

ghhatley

Thanks for the reply, I might just leave the bulbs alone! I notice the ones for engine over heating, low oil pressure, the main ones I'd say do work.
Garage:

TJ Hopland

These days I don't know that I would replace bulbs just because.   Quality of the replacements is not likely the best these days and you often read about damage caused by low quality lamps running too hot. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

teaguejt

That's true. If they're all working, I'd be reluctant to replace them. I'm going to look into replacing them with LEDs to avoid the heating problem, but if that's not feasible they're getting left alone.

ghhatley

can we get these bulbs as LEDs? I really like the way a fully illuminated dash looks...well not all the warning lights obviously.
Garage: