News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Eldo rear Grill Bullet tool and replacement star clips??

Started by 76eldo, November 12, 2015, 10:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76eldo

I removed the rear bumper on my 60 Eldo today so that I can get it rechromed.

The grill section poses two interesting challenges.

1.  In order to separate the grill from the black backing plate to paint the plate black, it appears as though the bullets have to come off.  I see a seller on ebay with replacement star retaining clips and another guy with tyhe tool for pressing them in.
Anyone here ever do this job and if so, what method and tool did you use?

2.  The little stud clips in the tracks that hold the grille halves and the frame for the fuel door... The stud is spinning inside of the clip.  I can dremel them off but are the replacement clip/studs available?

Thanks,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

76eldo

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

marty55cdv

Brian since you are getting zilch in replies , I will tell you what I did for the bullets on my front grill of my 58,
basically I carefully removed the clip one leg at a time with some needle nose pliers and then used a wide wood chisel to tap the clip back in its slot , the width of the chisel allows you to get two legs in at the same time. As you probably know at the end of the bullet there is a rubber pc that keeps it from rattling and keeps tension on the clip , I used round foam insulation in place of where the rubber had broken apart. Not sure how the ones in the back are since I have not taken one apart.
Marty Smith
  CLC #22760
41 60 Special http://bit.ly/1Wm0GvT
55 CDV http://bit.ly/1G933IY
56 Fleetwood
1958 Extended Deck http://bit.ly/1NPYhGC
1959 Fleetwood  http://bit.ly/1OFsrOE
1960 Series 62 Coupe
1960 Sedan DeVille  4 window Flattop
63 Fleetwood http://bit.ly/1iSz17J
1964 Eldorado http://bit.ly/1Wm17GA  (Living in California now)
1988 EBC http://bit.ly/1iSACKz

ghhatley

I did the same thing with my '58 grille an it worked well....took forever but worked well.
Garage:
1958 Continental Convertible
1958 Continental Convertible
1958 Cadillac Extended Deck gone
1958 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 S
1960 Continental Convertible
1967 Continental Convertible
1973 Eldorado Convertible
1975 Eldorado Convertible aka Cabernet Caddy

76eldo

Thanks.

There's a guy selling a tool on ebay but it's $110.00.

Seems like if you are careful about removing the stars you can re-use them.  The rear grille is in excellent shape with no corrosion so it should work out.  I also thought about making a tool out of a piece of oak so use with a light hammer tap to re-seat the stars when it goes back together.

Thanks,

Brian 
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

59-in-pieces

Brian,
I only have 59 Eldo's, but they are similar to your 60.
Marty had the right idea about using a needle nose pliers - but be very careful because the arrow arms are spring steel and brake easily if twisted too much.
To remove the stars, twist the arrow legs very slightly - each of the 4 arrows one at a time - take your time.
The clips - arrows have raiser sharp edges which cut into the bullet to help hold the clips in place.
Fun thing to know with a 59 - the rear bullets are shorter than the front bullets.
The rubber is bent over the intersection of the vertical and horizontal egg crate flat pieces.
I have attached several pics to show the bullets - star clips - rubber pieces - setting tool.
Buy the tool - look at the side view and end to see how it works to engage the star - slot - bullet - it is invaluable to position the clips in the slots of the bullets to slide the stars down the slots and set them tight together.
From front of grill, bend rubber over intersection - place bullet over the rubber - turn over the grill and place the star in slot - place tool over star and slots in bullet - tap with tack hammer down slowly on the tool to tighten all pieces together tightly.
Repeat, repeat, repeat at nausea - your done.
Have fun.
Steve B.
S. Butcher

76eldo

Thanks for the info.  Where did you get the tool?  Same guy on ebay?

Who sells the rubber insulators?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Grant Owen

Brian the tool for the stars is no good for the rear , the rear has a different tool which I have never seen repo'd  . The difference being there is no follow through on the rear as the backing panels prevent this. I have made correct tools for 59  (both front & rear ) & 58 but haven't made 60 tools yet. I have made the tools from Aluminium which is soft & won't damage the bullets like the regular tools do , my tools only last about 2 -3 grills but they are easy to make . What you can do is use a small socket put it inside the bullet with the clip underneath put a soft piece of wood under the bullet & with an Arbor press gently press the clip in place . Do not hammer like the manual says this only results in damage. The small square clips with the thread I have quite a few NOS , there is another clip you can use which is readily available I will find the number & send a PM. Hope this helps.

76eldo

Thanks. I do not have a press in my garage but I can't see it taking too much force to push these clips or stars in.  I do have a drill press. Maybe I can put a small socket in the chuck and press them in that way?  I was also thinking that whacking it with a hammer might be a little dangerous as far as damaging something.

The grille is actually in nice shape but the black backing needs to be repainted and unlike the front corner pieces, the bullet holds it on not just the bendable tabs.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

66/440

Steve and Grant, I have read your comments below. I am in the process of refurbishing the front and rear grills for my '59 and wondered if you guys would be kind enough to furnish me information on the following:

Steve; where did you purchase the tool for setting the star clips into the bullets?

Grant; You mentioned  "The small square clips with the thread" - see my attached photo - and that you have a part number for this item. Could you send me the part number and if you have a source that you know supplies there I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks
Glenn
1959 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe
CLC Member 28906