News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Average cost to redo a '73 Convertible top

Started by ghhatley, November 13, 2015, 12:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghhatley

I'm redoing the top on my '73 and spoke to the upholstery shop and found the price just for the labor  to be a bit high, $1200. Does this seem high, low, or average? I believe the tops are the same from 71-76 so please feel free to chime in if you have other years then '73.
Garage:
1958 Continental Convertible
1958 Cadillac Extended Deck gone
1958 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 S
1960 Continental Convertible
1967 Continental Convertible
1973 Eldorado Convertible
1975 Eldorado Convertible aka Cabernet Caddy

76eldo

If you are getting a new top, back window, and pads, and a new well liner for $1200 that's too cheap.

If it's a Robbins or Electron top and the shop actually knows how to actually do it right that's a bargain.

If you get a cheap top it just won't last very long.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Scot Minesinger

The GM scissor tops from 1971 thru 76 are the convertible top shops most difficult challenge.  This is because the top frame mechanism is usually flawed and often the owner comes back after the installation of a new top and what was a mechanism problem is blamed on the top being changed and additional human resources are invested by top shop.  They may have anticipated this.  BTW convertible top shops also recommend to go with a plastic back window, as the glass ones frequently break due to a mal-adjustment. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

TJ Hopland

10-15 years ago I remember $1500 being a common price for the complete job.  Its not hard to spend $1000 on just parts these days and most shops are going to be at least $100 per hour and its going to be at least a days job so another $1000 there can happen pretty easily.     

I think I paid $2000 for a poor job on a Fox body Mustang about 4 years ago.  I had my Eldo done maybe 3 years ago and I think the final tally was just over $3000.  That was not a super premium top or defroster.   I don't remember the details but there was some well related parts I didn't need because they said the current production ones are not very good so they only replace them when they have to.   That did include clean, repair, and paint of the mechanism and a clean and lube of the gearboxes.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

I would have thought that $1200.00 for the labour content wasn't that bad a price.

But, I would be having the shop also supply the top and related parts as well, unless you already have them.

When I finally have to get my own top replaced, I will be obtaining the best parts, including the well, and the drain, and giving them to the fitter.   Don't forget to replace the headliner as well.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

ghhatley

$1200 to just do the labor on the top.
Guy has done alot of work for me in the past and specializes in these scissor tops so I think its work it.
Garage:
1958 Cadillac Extended Deck gone
1958 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 S
1960 Continental Convertible
1967 Continental Convertible
1973 Eldorado Convertible
1975 Eldorado Convertible aka Cabernet Caddy