News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1939 series 61 carb info and speedo cable

Started by oldcarguy, November 13, 2015, 03:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarguy

I'm a new owner, so I need some help! where can a guy get a carb rebuild, no one in my area seems to rebuild any more.
Also, my speedometer needle just went crazy along with a bunch of noise. When I got home, I pulled it from the dash and lubricated, did a test drive and thot I was doing good til about 40 mph, same thing happened. Do I need to take it completely out, or is there a better way?
Thanks much for any help,
Don
Don Ford

1941 SERIES 6219D
2017 XTS
Others:
1949 Mercury coupe
1964 Pontiac LeMans
1959 Chevy Impala

Tom Beaver

Don, you didn't mention whether you also lubricated the drive cable.  If not, that is most likely your problem.  Lubricant on the cable dries out causing increased friction and sticking, which produces the speedometer needle fluctuations you are seeing.  I would recommend removing the cable and sheath from the car, soaking them in solvent, clean it up well and then re-lubricate the cable and reinstall.

Tom Beaver

oldcarguy

Tom,
Thanks, I thought that might be the case...What's the best lube to use?

Don Ford

1941 SERIES 6219D
2017 XTS
Others:
1949 Mercury coupe
1964 Pontiac LeMans
1959 Chevy Impala

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I had my 1940 LaSalle carburetor done by Daytona Parts Co. Very pleased with the result. Runs beautifully and looks better than the rest of the car.

Tom Beaver

Don, I have always used graphite because it doesn't dry out or get stiff when its cold out.  Use graphite lube mixed with alcohol.  Disconnect both ends of the cable and pour it in from the top.  When it comes out the bottom you know that the whole cable is lubricated.  Auto parts stores should have the stuff in a tube or can already mixed.  I have an old can of the stuff that was sold as lock lubricant and it works well.

Tom Beaver

oldcarguy

Thanks Tom and Alan, I appreciate your help and I'll be using your suggestions.
Now, floor pans...Can't find any for the series 61 coupe. So, I have a man who is
a good metal fabricator, is this the way to go?
Thanks
Don Ford

1941 SERIES 6219D
2017 XTS
Others:
1949 Mercury coupe
1964 Pontiac LeMans
1959 Chevy Impala