News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Tips on removing cruise control from a 1965 Cadillac

Started by Lucas Feininger #15674, November 16, 2015, 08:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucas Feininger #15674

This weekend I removed the cruise control power unit and dash selector control assembly from my 1965 Eldorado. The process was not without some complications.

To spare other readers of this forum who may need to do this task I would liek to share the following:

Here is what the shop manual says: My added suggestions are in bold.
1. Disconnect negative battery cable at battery.
2. Loosen set screw at lower end of control cable dust shield.
You are better off removing the set screw entirely. It actually goes into a collar around the control cable which is hidden inside the dust shield. If the screw is not entirely removed from the collar the dust shield will not come off
3. Remove dust shield from power unit housing, slide dust shield down cable, and disconnect end of control cable from compressor rod and spring assembly.
The dust shield must be rotated about 45 degrees counter-clockwise and pulled out from its housing on the power unit. Spray it with penetrating oil first. Be very careful with the dust shield. It is made out of thin stamped metal with several cuts in it and will deform quite easily.
4. Remove dust shield from control cable.
5. Attach a five-foot piece of wire or heavy string to disconnected end of control cable.
Definitely use the wire.
NOTE. Attaching the wire or string to the end of control cable will ensure cable being routed properly when selector control assembly is reinstalled.
6. Working through underside of of instrument panel, remove spring clip securing selector dial bulb wire connector to instrument panel side brace.
Remove the lower steering column panel before you start to remove the selector control assembly (dial). This will allow much better access to the wiring for the selector control assembly. It will also allow you to push up from underneath the selector control assembly as you remove it from the dash.
7. Remove screw securing selector control assembly to lower instrument panel and carefully remove selector control assembly from lower instrument panel to gain access to wire connectors.
The selector control assembly is difficult to remove especially if the car has air conditioning. The left vent will get in your way. Just keep wiggling the unit carefully and it will eventually clear the AC vent.
NOTE: Screw is located on bottom side of lower instrument panel directly below selector control assembly.
8. Disconnect dial bulb wire connector and four-way selector control harness connector.
A pair of large bent-nose pliers will make the job of disconnecting the dial bulb wire connector and four-way selector control harness connector a whole lot easier. it is almost impossible to get your fingers in there let alone trying to get any leverage on the connectors.
9. Pull control cable through cowl grommet from inside car with selector control assembly, being careful not to bend or kink control cable.
Before you do this look for the grommet on the firewall. Remove the metal collar around the grommet (it comes apart in 2 pieces). The grommet has splits for the wires and cables that pass through it. Using a small flat blade screwdriver gently pry the grommet off the firewall until you can wiggle the control cable through the split. Be sure to remove the large metal collar from the control cable. Do not let it fall into the engine compartment like I did and then spend 45 minutes looking for it!
10. Remove string or wire from end of control cable and leave in cowl grommet.
Hope this is of some use to someone down the line.
Lucas Feininger
1965 Sedan de Ville
1965 Eldorado
2014 SRX
CLC #15674

"The only way to travel is Cadillac style"

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon