News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1970 Deville Mirror mount passenger side - how would you do it?

Started by chrisntam, November 16, 2015, 10:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

I've obtained the mirror, but without the mounting hardware.  Any suggestions on how I could get it mounted?  I would guess the original hardware may be hard to come by.  It appears to be the dealer installed variety. 

Any help would be appreciated!

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

76eldo

I'll send you a picture of the original hardware in the next day or two.

I have one of these mirrors and it's new in the box.  I have the hardware but no instructions or template.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

chrisntam

I know the mirror was meant to be installed without removing the door panel, supposedly need to cut keyhole style holes in the door, install the hardware on the mirror, slide the mirror into place on the door and tighten the hex head screws drawing the mirror to the door.

I'd have to find someone with the hardware and no mirror (unlikely) or figure out a way to "retrofit" this mirror and mount it conventionally.

Thanks for the assist!  It is appreciated!

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Chris,
Congrats on finally getting a mirror! It sounds like Brian is going to help you on the 2 special screws. I can help both of you with copies of the paperwork. Don't forget, you'll need to make a gasket.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

chrisntam

Hi Bob,  yes, I was fortunate to find it!  I'm planning to mount it conventionally, and not to use the special fasteners (may be too difficult to replicate).  The mirror has two female threaded "ports" that appear to be 1/4 - 20 or 1/4 - 28, not sure.  I'll prolly just drill the two holes, fabricate a metal "backer" for the inside of the door skin and bolt it up using stainless fasteners.

So now, the gasket.  Is it the same, left & right side?  I know you were looking for one a while back.  How did you fare?  I'll call the usual suspects, the Cadillac suppliers & wrecking yards.  Regarding making one, I understand EPDM rubber is a good choice.  Your thoughts?

Regarding the template, is it something you can get copied?  I'd gladly pay your time, costs to copy & postage!

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Chris,
I'll send you a PM tomorrow. Keep that drill put away!!!
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

76eldo

Chris,

I looked at the hardware tonight.

No way to find these or replicate them but you can  mount it the way you said if you take off the door panel.

I think you could just drill a couple of holes and get a bolts that fit those threads in the base.  It would be fairly easy to make a template or use Bob's template and just drill the smaller holes.  You could fabricate an inner brace or actually just use a couple of washers.

The "bolt" on the mirror I bought is a button head with a fine threaded shaft and has an allen key in the end of the threaded part.  That's just not  something you are going to find.  The only other thing you could try is to find the button head with a hollow shaft and lock-tite an allen set screw into it.  If you don't mind removing the door panel your idea would be the best, assuming there is an opening in the interior top of the door skin.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)