News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Control Arms: Where To Buy, What To Do

Started by Evan Wojtkiewicz, November 18, 2015, 10:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Wojtkiewicz

Hello all,

I need to source a good set of upper control arm assemblies for my 1967 DeVille.

The rear bushing has come out of the right side control arm, as have both bolts. The flanges in which the bushings are pressed into have been enlarged and distorted. While the left side hasn't failed (yet), it appears that the flange is likewise bent.

This is being repaired (re-repaired?) by the shop that replaced the bushings earlier this year. Once the parts are sourced, they will either come to my place to make the repair or tow the car to their shop. The manager tells me that if they can't source the control arms they'll press in some new bushings, replace the bolts, and call it a day. The shop (a national chain) seems to be making a decent effort to fix this so far, and I'm trying to help to expedite this, but I won't be accepting new bushings in damaged control arms as "fixed".

Does anyone sell refurbished/new control arms with new bushings pre-installed?

If they wind up buying used original parts from eBay, etc. with rotted bushings/ball joints, can they replace those bushings and be "good as new" or are these control arms useless once the bearings are shot?

If anybody has any advice in dealing with situations like these, feel free to share your experience.
CLC 29623

1967 DeVille convertible

Chuck Swanson

No one I know sells them new...maybe USA Parts refurb??.  If they are damaged, I would not use.  I ruined one by using press and not having proper spacers.  Started to make some spacers from shop manual info, but my friend said he has plenty of spacers, so brought to his shop and he removed and pressed in new Moog (search for my other posts to see).  Shop manual says if any parts bend by more than 10%?? don't try to bend back. 

I will have to check if any extra off my cars...same for 66

CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Evan Wojtkiewicz

Thank you Chaz!

USA Parts Supply does have refurbished units! I can't believe I forgot about them even though I have them bookmarked.
CLC 29623

1967 DeVille convertible

David King (kz78hy)

Evan,

Chip at Chip's Caddies thinks he has the parts (used).  Chip Iceman is a Motor City Region member and can hook you up.

He will be at the local meeting in Dec., or call me for his number.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

mario

Hi Evan.  I have an upper and lower pair from my 68 Deville.  If interested, email me, cad500ci@aol.com. I am in San Francisco,  CA.
Ciao,
Mario Caimotto

Evan Wojtkiewicz

Thanks David and Mario, I already called emailed the shop the link to the USA parts supply units. The manager and I agreed that the best and simplest way to take care of this is to get the control arms with the bushings, etc already installed. That way, they can just swap out the old ones and I don't have to worry about any other complications.
CLC 29623

1967 DeVille convertible

mario

Evan:
Thank you for your reply. That is why I have a complete set. I did something similar.
Ciao,
Mario caimotto

Dave Shepherd

Would also suggest finding a shop that knows what they are doing and has the right equipment, also the control arm busing retaining bolts cannot be final tightened till the car is on the ground.