News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Best Paint

Started by Tpicks55, November 22, 2015, 05:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tpicks55

I was reading in a car mag and it was talking about types of paint to use on cars, classic types.  The point was made that purists should only use lacquer paint or enamel on vintage cars.  The two part paint should not be used because it looks fake and plastic.  Im not ready for paint at this stage but it is something to start to think about.  Id like all your opinions.  Thanks,  Tony
75 Eldorado Convertible
94 Deville Concurs
2019 Lincoln Continental
2016 Cadillac XTS

Bobby B

Tony,
Hi. Technically…Lacquer is really not sold over the counter anymore due to certain regulations. I didn't say you couldn't buy it …... ;). Point made. My question is why would you? It just doesn't hold up compared to today's products. Yes, it looks miles deep in certain colors, but truthfully just doesn't hold up compared to newer technology paints. Better results and finishes just as deep and smooth can be achieved with the proper prep, equipment, and product, without the inherent problems of lacquer which would involve cracking, crazing, etc. I will admit to my being stubborn and trying to hold out as long as I could before making the switch. I think I applied the last Gallon of Lacquer that Dupont sold. Then came Centari, Diamont, Glasurit, etc…….
                 Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

chrisntam

Yep, basecoat, clearcoat is the way to go!

8)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

TonyZappone #2624

I would use whatever modern brand single stage that experts on this forum could recommend.  Base coat-clear coat changes the color of the original paint.  I can remember the colors of the 50's and 60's, and they sure as heck didn't look like the glow in the dark look of color coat clear coat.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

cadillac ken

Enamels and lacquers are a thing of the past.  I defy anyone to tell me a show quality paint job produced in my shop can be told from a lacquer or enamel job. Be careful what you read in magazines.  I could tell you some real eye popping statements made in some articles I have read that are absolutely untrue.

As pointed out anyone using these types of paint are denying themselves the benefit of superior technology of todays formulated finishes.  Now with that said, I would agree that a single stage urethane does have a more "vintage" look, but only to the professional and trained eye-- most cannot tell what type of paint has been applied to a car simply by looking at the finish.

One of our customers was talked into a lacquer job on his 1958 Biscayne years ago. Our shop about that time built for the same customer a 1958 Apache pick up truck. We painted it with a base coat / clear coat system.  His Biscayne has seen very little use and it is showing crazing and cracks in the paint.  The truck still looks like the day it was delivered-- and it has been used and seen a lot more sunny days, by far, than the Impala has.

But or course there is no shortage of "experts" these days more than happy to give you their opinion.  Talk to the guys who have been doing it for over 30 years first and you will get the up to date facts on today's paint systems and why nobody uses lacquer or enamel anymore.

Caddy Wizard

I grew up in the paint and body business my dad started in 1964.  So I have seen us move from lacquer to enamel to urethane.  Hands down, the best paint to put on a car is urethane (be it single stage or two stage).  It is easier to paint and stays better looking much longer.  Far less maintenance than lacquer.  There is no comparison.

So just put urethane on it and be done with it.  Use an epoxy primer on the bare metal and the thing will last longer than most of us.  Biggest thing is to get the size and amount of metal flake correct in vintage "poly" paints -- way too many paint jobs look obviously modern and non-authentic regarding metal flake, not paint type... 
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

INTMD8

Yes I think the best you will get now is just a good single stage. It does have a different look to it. I recently had the front of my F355 repainted with Glasurit single stage and refused to do it in base/clear so it matched the rest of the car.

Not as shiny but more depth is the way I would describe it.

Tpicks55

Thanks all for the responses.  That settles it for me as a good paint shop is all I will need now.
75 Eldorado Convertible
94 Deville Concurs
2019 Lincoln Continental
2016 Cadillac XTS