News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Fuel Pressure 39 LaSallle 50 Series

Started by 39lasalle, November 23, 2015, 07:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

39lasalle

So I am still having issues getting this thing running.  The car starts and idles fine but that is where it ends.   It acts like it is starving for fuel.  new fuel pump, carb has been apart twice by two different "carb" guys (although both cannot remember ever working on one like these). points and condenser have been replaced as with the plugs and wires. 

A couple of guys had asked about fuel pressure, I have not put a gauge on it yet but does any one know what it should be???  I read my manual yesterday but did not see it inn there.

I have a 12 volt pump that is about 5-6 psi , do you all think this is too much/not enough for the carb to handle?

thanks for the help.

Bobby B

Sounds like WAY too much pressure for that carb/ float. Ask one of the guys who rebuilt your carb to get their suggestions. If you need somebody that does an excellent job with that carb, I'll give you his info. Other people here have tried him and have been extremely happy. Check your pressure. You most likely need a regulator.
                                                                                                                                                    Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

JoeCeretti

I believe that 5 - 6 psi is what that carb is meant to have. If my car wasn't all burned up in my driveway still it would be running great with the carter vane pump that puts out about 5 - 6 psi into a 1939 LaSalle carb. Reason why... I bet it's electrical/ignition related.
1938 60S nearly done and then destroyed by fire :(
1989 Buick Riviera (Arctic White Paint / Blue Cloth Interior)

Bobby B

Joe,
Hi. Seeing your car like that upset me.  I was devastated, to say the least, when you posted it. I hope it all works out for you in the long run. Good luck.

My rule of thumb with any vintage carb was no more that 2.5 PSI. I've never had any problems with anything running on those pressures. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've never experienced any issues.
                                                                         Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

JoeCeretti

I was gutted and still am. But I must carry on :)

The factory spec on the fuel pump on the flatheads is around 5 psi.
1938 60S nearly done and then destroyed by fire :(
1989 Buick Riviera (Arctic White Paint / Blue Cloth Interior)