News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1929 LaSalle Radiator frothing

Started by Rohan Millar, November 24, 2015, 12:43:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rohan Millar

Two of our 1929 LaSalles have been having radiator issues, with the radiators frothing and overflowing. It seems to occur when the vehicles are under load, such as driving uphill, but where we live, uphill is driving west and downhill is driving east on the highway. One vehicle has a reconditioned engine and the other has an original engine and both vehicles have newer radiators. The vehicle with the original engine recently dropped half the contents of the radiator on the road while waiting to turn.

Before we really go to town and pull lots of things apart, are there any suggestions from the group for possible causes and easy troubleshooting?
1928 La Salle 5-passenger Coupe, 8050
1929 La Salle 4-passenger Phaeton, 1185
1929 La Salle Landau Cabriolet, 8600

Steve Passmore

This is just my experience with slightly later cars, I don't own anything as early as yours but every time I see a car pressurizing the rad and overflowing its a radiator issue.   The core tubes just can't pass water through  fast enough to keep up with the pump.   The fact that you say both cars have new rads and both cars are suffering may be the clue.    Have the radiator cores been replaced exactly as per original size and number of tubes?
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Rohan Millar

Steve,

Thanks for your reply and it's a good question - I don't know the history of the rad replacements, but it's a good starting point. The vehicle with the reconditioned motor was purchased as a rolling chassis, so we don't know what was actually done in the rebuild. The vehicle with the original engine had been in storage for quite a while and while it was run regularly, it had not been driven for any distance for at least two years to the best of my knowledge. We'll have a good look at the rads and go on from there.

Rohan
1928 La Salle 5-passenger Coupe, 8050
1929 La Salle 4-passenger Phaeton, 1185
1929 La Salle Landau Cabriolet, 8600

rcr

If you have ruled out combustion in the coolant (bad head gasket or a crack)  1929 Cadillac and LaSalle engines are prone to have a loose water pump impeller once warmed up which slips badly and really shows up under a load. The reason is that the impeller is only pinned to the shaft on one side (pin does not go all the way through) and rusts and breaks away with time. Remove the hose and see if you can move the impeller with gentle pressure. If so it is a simple fix to put a new pin in place. I usually use a tapered pin backed up by a set screw to secure.

Rich in Colorado

Rohan,

I'm really new to the Cadillac, I just bought a '58 Fleetwood.  Saw your post and if you rule out the items the other guys are suggesting you might try what worked for me, if you are using anti-freeze.

I have a 1928 Model A Ford.  It has a non-pressurized cooling system.  I don't know if Cadillac had pressurized or not back then.  My car would froth a lot after I got it running.  Newly redone radiator, newly rebuilt engine.  Drove me crazy.  Tried all kinds of things, new head gasket, waterpump.  Anyway I talked to a old Model A guy (is there any other kind?) and without hesitation he said use Sierra antifreeze/coolant.  It is a diferent formula, (Propylene Glycol).  It fixed my problem.  I have had the car now for well over 20 years, and it never did it again.

Apparently, some cars with non-pressured systems will churn up standard anti-freeze.   The standard parts stores didn't have it, I bought mine at NAPA.
Cheap fix if it works, Good Luck,
Rich in Colorado
Rich in Colorado
1958 Fleetwood Sixty Special
1928 Ford Model A
1956 Ford Thunderbird
1963 Dodge Power Wagon
1966 Ford F-250 (Dads Truck)