News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 Eldorado on Ebay

Started by LenInLA, November 26, 2015, 03:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LenInLA

I've been following this 1976 Eldorado Convertible - http://www.ebay.com/itm/351587061394?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The car allegedly has only 9000 miles.  Looks very cool.

I've asked the seller some questions, but the answers were pretty noncommittal (runs well; no visible rust, stuff like that).

I know that Rollses and Bentleys with very low miles are a very dangerous proposition; they're meant to be driven.  But what about Cadillacs?  Is the 9000 miles a good thing or not?

Any other thoughts? I think I have narrowed my search to a 1976 Eldorado model - mostly because of the disk breaks. I live on a hill; and it's a somewhat steep 3 mile drive down the hill.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

chrisntam

yes, it does look nice.  Not sure I believe the mileage though.  Why would someone go to the expense of putting a sound system in a car if they weren't going to be driving it?  Also, there are exposed wires in the area around the a/c compressor (green wires).  Why would they be exposed unless it was a repair?  A 9000 mile car shouldn't have wiring like that exposed.  Components may have needed replacement, but the wiring shouldn't need to be bothered.  Are the 9000 miles documented?  It does look to be in very good condition though.  As always, look at it in person or have it thoroughly inspected by someone knowledgeable.

chris, aka doubting Thomas.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

The Tassie Devil(le)

I too find it difficult to believe the low mileage.

The Drivers' door appears to be out of alignment, and the Plug Leads don't look original.

Plus, the Filler Pieces in the front don't look to be in perfect condition.

This is one vehicle where I would be grabbing a just open door and lift it up and down to check for worn hinge bushings.

I am not sure about the top, but it looks like it is shrunk a fair bit as one can see the metal work  too easily.   Plus, the hard boot has had too much of a hard life seeing as one of the retaining pieces in the centre is broken.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

57eldoking

Condition of filler pieces are not necessarily conclusive evidence. Val Ward Cadillac in Fort Myers FL has a Bicentennial that's been upstairs in their air conditioned showroom since it was new in 1976. The fillers on that car were falling apart last time I visited.
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #906
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #1020 http://bit.ly/1kTvFlM
1957 Eldorado Seville  #1777 http://bit.ly/1T3Uo1c
1995 Fleetwood Brougham  http://bit.ly/20YwJV4
2010 SRX Performance

1946 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup
1957 Buick Caballero Estate Wagon (x2)
1960 Chevy Apache 10 Stepside
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (x2)
1992 Pontiac Trans Sport GT

76eldo

It also has the wrong hubcaps on it, even though these used car experts are stating it has the correct color keyed hubcaps.
These cars look emasculated with puny whitewalls like that.  Needs the correct 1.6 whitewall. Should have black painted caps with the double black rings.

It's possible that the mileage is right.  Look at the steering wheel and the floor mat.  Pretty mint.

Looks like the bumper fillers are toast.  Figure $1200-$1500 to have replaced professionally parts and labor.

It's $9000, reserve not met.  Who knows that the need for it??  If the mileage can be verified it's $15,000 at best as it is.

Here's my web article on fillers:  www.sheffieldgarage.com/fillers.htm

Us East Coast guys have always thought being in LA you would have access to tons of great cars in Cali.  Not true?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

chrisntam

Yeah, those horrible plastic covers are everywhere!!

;)

Surprising no one has made metal ones to replace them.  I guess there's more of a market for the plastic ones as they'll be replaced many times.  Metal ones, only once.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

76eldo

If you mean the ABS replacement bumper fillers they are a permanent solution.
They don't degrade over time like the original urathane ones.

To make these in metal would require a huge tooling investment and no one is going to do that.
Stainless edge trim for the pieces in the  back would be nice. NOS ones are hard to find and expensive when you find them.  Most guys throw on door edge trim but if you have a trained eye you can spot that trick from 50 feet away.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bobby B

As skeptical as I am, the mileage looks correct to me. That interior could not suffer 110K and look like that, especially on a convertible. The age alone could warrant interior, trim, etc. to deteriorate more so than it being used. Looks like maintenance was done for resale under the hood. Nothing wrong with that for a driver. Not everyone wants to use a car with 40 year old parts under the hood, me included. I own a date coded trailer queen car, and to be quite honest, it's useless. If you're strictly purchasing it based on the stated mileage, some verification or proof would be in order. Buy it if you like it, regardless of the mileage, but go see it in person first and ask questions.
                                                                                                                         Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

76eldo

I'm not crazy about the car.  The hubcaps and tires are wrong, the driver's side door panel is split and they are very hard to find.  The uppers always need to be redone but the bottoms usually hold up well.

The stereo wiring under then hood is sloppy and it's been converted to 134-A.  Just has a Mickey Mouse feel to the pics.  It's an intangible feeling.  If you want the drive the car the 9000 miles is not a big bonus to me.  DO NOT under any circumstances buy a car like this or any car from a used car dealer without getting someone to look at and drive the car for you if you are not going to look at it yourself. 

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

cadillac ken

I agree with most of the other posters here.  Mileage is probably correct.  But with that said, not a fanatically well kept car.  In real estate they say "location, location, location."  In cars I always say "condition, condition, condition"  Mileage can be low but a poorly stored, kept, or maintained car can negate the advantage of low miles.  Obviously this is not a poorly kept car.  However, just remember 9000 miles is still some significant road time.  At 10K miles you are usually looking at all the expendables (alt. water pump, starter, etc.) reaching a replacement point--- and oh those plastic bumper filler panels!

If you simply want a nice car to drive, do as others have said, go see it.  Who knows what the "reserve" is but at over 10K that's not a car at a price I would buy on photos-- especially from a used car dealer.

76eldo

There's a very nice blue 76 Eldo convertible here in Pa.
It's got low miles and is a true original car with no rust.
I have a 60 Cadillac leaving here next week bound for Vegas.
The truck also goes to LA.
If you are serious and ready to make a move I'll put you in touch with the owner of the 76.
He owned a classic car dealership that recently closed and was holding onto this car for himself but now wants to sell it.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Just to add my 2 cents FWIW. The hood insulation has been replaced. That is VERY unusual for a low mileage car since the original insulation was quite sturdy.  The AC has been modified, again very unusual for a car with low mileage, and the drivers door wear would tell me that either someone sat in the car continuously for 39 years or it has a few more miles on it than it shows.
That said, if it runs and drives well and there is no rust it doesn't seem out of line at 9K.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

66 Eldo

I don't think the miles are correct. This could be one of the many "low mileage" 76 Eldorados that has had its speedometer disconnected  to keep the miles low and value high. Apparently this was a not so uncommon practice back in the day. I would insist on seeing a file of dated repair invoices before going any further.

Besides the items mentioned by others, the carpeted floor mat on the driver's side and its adjacent carpet next to the threshold are matted down pretty well. Also the driver's door panel is cracked in a few places. Door panels do crack from age, however, in more than one place has me suspicious. I doubt its 9500 miles. Who knows. 40k? 50k? The drivers seat does look good, but it could have been re-dyed. One would have to look at it close and its stitching to be sure the seat surface is original.

Regardless, this car has bigger problems. Pictures are hard to show details but I am fairly confident this car has had a collision. The panel gaps between the door and fender are too wide on the driver's side and too close on the passenger side. Also, the paint does not match on the drivers fender to the door and the filler. I see three shades of white between the filler, fender and door. Looks like a hit to the LF.

I would keep looking.

Greg, Re: Rolls and Bentleys. I have one of each and the can be troublesome when they have low mileage or not used regularly.  The biggest issue is the brake system. I have revived a few and its best to just bite the bullet and re-do the whole brake system complete rather than piecemeal. Send me a PM if you have any questions about them.

LenInLA

Thanks for the valuable advice! A real bunch of automative Sherlock Holmeses! Wow!

Brian - sent you a PM regarding the PA Eldorado.

bcroe

At least it doesn't have fuel injection. 

I would be most concerned about getting a nice clean body.  Whatever the mileage, mechanical
stuff can be fixed easily enough.  If I were to get another car of that age & mileage, I would be
doing what I have done before.  Which includes, going through the entire brake system, cooling
system, suspension, transmission, fuel system, exhaust system, vacuum hoses, harmonic balancer,
wheel bearings, new tires & timing chain.  New bearings in the alternator & A/C clutch.  Bruce Roe

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

That Eldorado has more questions than an FBI interrogator: Cracked door panels, tired seats, worn and sun faded carpeting, corner auto parts store air cleaner cover, non original a/c system components, wrong hubcaps...and what about the crapstereo in the trunk (!) - to name a few.

And that's just what's evident from a computer screen; heaven knows what other "delights" await discovery upon in-person scrutiny.

Perhaps one or two such demerits might be expected - even on a very low mileage car - but this many on a professed 9,000 miler test the limits of imagination.

Frankly, I'd sooner believe in the tooth fairy before the claim of 9,000 miles on this - uh - car.  ::)   

One man's opinion.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

chrisntam

There folks a believin', it's up to $15,000.00.

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Quote from: chrisntam on November 27, 2015, 11:22:23 AM
There folks a believin', it's up to $15,000.00.

Ostensibly the case but as the famous statement "RESERVE NOT MET" is shown, whether there's any "real" money on the car is whole 'nother question....

Big Apple Caddy

Mileage could certainly be legit as how a car is used, stored and maintained over 40 years can have a lot more to do with cosmetic damage, flaws, changes, etc.  than actual miles driven.  Having said that, if the dealer isn't able to provide strong documentation for its low mileage I would evaluate the car strictly on condition and basically ignore the odometer.  Usually a good way to go in general, anyway.

Dealer is asking $24,995 on their website.

Here's another for thought - a 1978 Eldorado Biarritz with 6,473 miles.

While much nicer than the '76 topic car, one has to wonder the reason for the plain Jane stainless steel wheel covers, rather than color keyed - on a Biarritz?  ???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-Eldorado-Biarritz-ONLY-6-473-ACTUAL-MILES-/391329160462?forcerrptr=true&hash=item5b1d091d0e:g:QKYAAOSwxN5WVi3L&item=391329160462

Secondly, the body hardware screws on the inside of the passenger door (photo of pass door open) appear to have been painted over - however, it's difficult to determine from the photo.

Pinstripe incorrectly applied, engine freshly painted, missing air cleaner "snorkel" hose and finally - is that a screw drilled through the trailing edge of the driver's side upper rear rocker molding?  :o (Photo of tire/wheel & rear quarter panel on driver's side).