News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

The next car burning out?

Started by Roger Zimmermann, November 26, 2015, 09:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Zimmermann

Recently, a friend owning a '57 Brougham called me and said that his light switch is making sparks. As I could not understand why a switch can generate sparks, he send me that switch. 
During the life of the car, the light switch failed. A replacement switch was found, probably a '56 one. Unfortunately, the actuating rod was too long for that new combinaison; a quick solution was found: the bracket for the fog lamp switch was welded to the main support with the adequate clearance, see the first picture. The nut which should attach the fog lamp switch to the main support was not removed and recently it contacted the fog lamp switch terminal plus the ground. Now it's clear why the switch emitted sparks!
Why some people don't understand what they are doing?
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

J. Gomez

Roger,

Is the logical approach when someone makes a modification without knowing or lack of reference as to how it should be done?  ???
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Roger Zimmermann

They had certainly the original set-up to copy. What happened and why? Sorry, nobody can tell!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Scot Minesinger

Might pile on about mechanics and why out of necessity had to be my own best Cadillac mechanic, but it is Thanksgiving so won't.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty