News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

96 Deville daily driver

Started by Matt 12861, November 27, 2015, 06:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt 12861

My regular driver started not starting "Because of security system"  and making me wait three minutes before starting.  Sometimes it does it twice in a row.  It does it with either set of keys and I've sprayed canned air into the ignition switch.  Any ideas before I get stranded completely?  I am guessing it is an expensive fix.  Thanks for any ideas.
Matt Givler
Matt Givler #12861

Scot Minesinger

What model: RWD FWB, Eld, DeVille and etc.?

If you are driving this car as a DD, definitely buy a set of shop manuals.  Unfortunately it will be more than one telephone book volume.  Does your remote have a fresh battery?  Start with the simple stuff.  I enjoyed a 1995 Cadillac FWB RWD as a DD for nine years, best car ever.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Matt 12861

It's a FWD Deville.   159,000 miles on it.  I had a '97 before that with 198,000 on it, I agree they are great cars.  I will have to look into the manuals.
Matt Givler #12861

TJ Hopland

Does this have the 'chip' in the shank of the key that you can see?  Or is the chip not visible?

If its the one you can see that one actually requires physical contact to take the reading.  You can get wear issues that keep it from making good contact.  The other thing that happens is the small wires that lead to the contacts in the ignition cylinder crack internally so they intermittently make contact.  I don't think there ever was a repair part for these.  I think you had to buy the complete lock assembly which was not cheap or a quick install.   

IF you are a DIY person these are pretty easy to bypass.   Hardest part is finding the correct 2 wires under the dash to solder the resistor to.    If you are not DIY looking at a place that sells and installs remote starters should be able to help, this system is something they have to deal with when they install the starters.   Only issue there is this system is getting to be antique so you may have to find a shop that has been around a while. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason