News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Proper Head light adjustment 1975 eldorado

Started by macdaddylong, November 28, 2015, 06:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdaddylong

Sooooo I need to properly adjust my high and low beams .. I remember when I was a kid service garages had a site set up on their wall you would aim the beams at .
Anyone have a trick or formula to do proper adjustment ?
1949 Harley flathead
1967 r60 Bmw
1981 Vespa
1975 eldorado
1985 ram charger
1963 xke Jaguar

Dave Shepherd

I usually bring a newer car in the shop, mark off about  25 ft from the wall, lites on, mark the center of the beam best possible on the wall, also mark the position of the wheels on the floor. Bring the car in  and set it in the spot and use the wall marking, sort of a rough adjst., or find old style headline aimers, some older shops still have them.

Scot Minesinger

I agree with Dave, that is how I do it too, then go for a drive at night to make sure your are good.  Almost every car I work has the headlights way out, like it has not been driven at night for a decade or more.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

bill06447

I found on my 78 that 2 of the 8 adjusters had brittle plastic bucket inserts that had broken, allowing the outer low beam lamps to point "cross-eyed". Plastic license plate inserts made acceptable replacements. I adjusted the lamps at night, taking a back road drive with my screwdriver and flashlight and readjusted accordingly.

Bill

R Schroeder

The plastic head light adjusters are available at any GM garage. I bought mine at a Chevy dealer. DONT buy the ones off Ebay, as they will soon break.
Roy

TJ Hopland

My method is the 25' too.   On a level surface I pull up as close as possible to the wall or garage door.   I then use tape to make a couple targets directly in front of the lights.   The target location is not based on the beam, its the physical location.    I then back up 20 ish feet and align so the bright spot hits the targets.  I think I got that procedure from a Motor or Chiltons manual. 

There were 2 styles of the adjuster screws and clips that covered the 70's and 80's, both are still available.   I have used parts store ones which I believe all come from Dorman.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason