News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1970 Deville Trunk Lock cover

Started by CaddySteve, October 04, 2021, 10:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaddySteve

My cover has great spring pressure and will snap closed when the key is removed. Is there a way to keep the cover open so i dont have to use two hands to pen the trunk?

The Tassie Devil(le)

There should be a small stainless steel clip that holds the cover open, so the key can be inserted, then, as the key goes fully in, it presses on the clip, thereby releasing the cover, so that when the key is removed, the cover automatically closes.

I apologise for the clarity of the pictures, and the fact that the part is not in the best of condition, but, that is why it is not on my car.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

CaddySteve

Thank you!

Any ideas on where i can source a clip? mine is missing.

Cadillac Fleetwood

Bruce is correct that the chrome base has a clip, but that is for 1971 and up.  1970 had a raised part in the casting that acted as the stop or detent.  I have at least two of the 1970 DeVille trunk crest and base assemblies; I'll dig them out and check, and post the result.

-Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Cadillac Fleetwood

To follow up:

I checked the three deck lid crest and base assemblies that I have.  None has the spring clip like the 1971 and later ones do.  The base has a raised "nub" on it that is supposed to catch on the back side of the emblem and hold it open.  All three of mine are worn to the point that the "nub" will no longer hold the crest part open.  Moreover, the similarly-sized 1971 large DeVille crest and base DOES have the riveted-in clip, which holds the crest ou of the way perfectly.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

The Tassie Devil(le)

I love it when the makers end up making improvements.   Especially when the improvements actually work.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

CaddySteve

Thanks for the information.

Do you think that the nub is repairable? Maybe a small tack weld?

The Tassie Devil(le)

There is really no such thing as a tack weld when dealing with Diecast material.

But, you could try a dab of really strong epoxy, like JB Weld, and work that till it fits the required shape.

But, this would need really good preparation of the area, and even attaching a piece of reinforcement to the area, as in finely drilling a hole, and inserting a very thin piece of wire to act as the reinforcement, like in concreting.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe