1958 Eldorado Brougham

Started by Jon S, December 02, 2015, 11:31:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon S

I would have expected a nicer engine bay, correct radiator hose, re-finished valve covers, etc. for a $215,000 restoration:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=221957433660

1958 Cadillac Brougham
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

If this is the result of a $215,000 restoration, there's a bridge for sale in Brooklyn the guy might be interested in as well.

Maybe the seller meant to say pesos instead of dollars.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Jon S

A closer look (on computer vs phone) reveals the washer lines are not attached, the incorrect type of fan belts are installed, the generator looks old and has non-factory resister and a wire to nowhere, the door jam switches should not be painted nor the screws (the sign of a quick and dirty restoration), and the air cleaner gold doesn't match what appears to be the original gold on the valve covers. 

Also wasn't Paint No 112  Chamonix White?

JMHO
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

David King (kz78hy)

Long story on this car, but the 1st major restoration was done by Marvin Friedman.  The next owner has attempted to better the car, but it still is lacking as noted already.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

veesixteen

Marv Friedman (aka "luvdg" et al)?
Uh-oh !!!
I see in the Cadillac Database that he's sold two more of these over the years, including 57EB40.
Caveat emptor!
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Scot Minesinger

Classic car dealers over price their products seems to me.  It is a desirable color combo including interior.  A Potomac region CLC member for his first Cadillac purchased one of these 1957/8 EB's in white, and I think he did well.  The dealer may be banking on a first timer.  Then when the first time buys the car and comes back with this does not work, battery died, did not even place in the local show, and etc. the response will be "...that is the way it is with these old cars".  Looking on e-bay it sure seems like buying from an individual is the way to go unless you know the car, want the car, and the dealer beat you to it.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty