News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1954 Front end alignment question

Started by 54 caddy larry, December 07, 2015, 08:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

54 caddy larry

Is there a different camber setting when going from bias-ply to radial, my tire shoppes alignment machine doesn't differentiate between the two. My car has some wander to it, the front end is tight and all parts check out to be good. The tire shop actually suggested that that I check here with you guys, they all willing to learn something new so they can get the job right for me.
Thanks in advance,
Larry
Larry M

1954 series 62 coupe
1974 Harley Davidson FLH

My caddy is my never ending work in progress.

Dan LeBlanc

Yes, there is a difference.

Bias ply tires like to have about 1/8" toe in, radials, 1/16".

Bias ply tires use negative caster, radials positive.  I believe 2.5 degrees positive caster will give the best results.

Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Jon S

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on December 08, 2015, 08:00:48 AM
Yes, there is a difference.

Bias ply tires like to have about 1/8" toe in, radials, 1/16".

Bias ply tires use negative caster, radials positive.  I believe 2.5 degrees positive caster will give the best results.

I have never changed the alignment on mine and the last set of Radials had 60,000+ miles and wore straight across.  Car tracks and handles perfectly.  Not so sure you need to modify the alignment specs, but each car is different.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

54 caddy larry

The tire shop reduced the toe in 6 degrees on each side, wander is now gone. That would be in line with what you suggested Dan.
Bottom line, problem solved.
Thanks
Larry
Larry M

1954 series 62 coupe
1974 Harley Davidson FLH

My caddy is my never ending work in progress.