News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1969 1970 Lower Control Arm Bump Stop

Started by hhumph1006, December 09, 2015, 03:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hhumph1006

Hello All.  Still chipping away at this 69.  I've just finished tearing down and rebuilding the front end.  I will list the parts changed below this question in case someone searching in the future is trying to do what I just did. 

My question:  Does anyone know where I can get the lower control arm bump stops?  Energy Suspension sells stops for 78 and newer that look like they might work, but would prefer the exact fit if possible. 

Any tips on installing would be great, too.  Is it really just a matter of using a screwdriver to jam the flaps back up?  Its the little things that kill you on these projects!

Thanks much.

Parts replaced:  Ground out and replaced upper control arm spherical/ball joints.  Replaced upper control arm bushings.  Replaced lower spherical/ball joints.  Replaced lower control arm bushing.  Replaced sway bar linkage.  Replaced sway bar bushings.  Replaced front coil springs.  The coil springs were the trickiest.  The manual says you can just use a jack and up they will go.  Thing is, you have to have the car up high enough to get the jack under the outboard edge of the control arm.  If I had to do it again, I'd get the car higher and get the lowest low profile jack available.  Every.  Inch.  Of.  Height. Counts.    Replaced inner and outer tie rod ends and center/drag link.  Replaced front shock absorbers.

The alignment shop will do the tie rod bushings.  I've bought enough tools for one project!  I may have them tack weld the upper ball/spherical joints since OEM was tack welded and the replacement presses in and then has a nut on the road side of the arm that tightens.  Its not a standard nut and I stupidly did not put the upper control arms in a vice to tighten before putting them back on the car.  I'd love to share my experience with anyone as this forum has been such a help to me in the past.  I can be the example of what NOT to do.
Hugh Campbell

1969 Coupe de Ville

Scot Minesinger

Did the same as you on my 1970 SDV and powder coated the control arms and etc., so undercarriage of car looks new with more durable finishes.  Picture attached before re-installing. There are no replacements made for stops, so had to re-use existing.  Cleaned them up real good and put them back, using screw driver to force the "fishhook" style sections thru metal slots.  The only way I know is re-use and a screw driver is the install tool.  Car drives super nice and tight.

Your right the front springs were difficult.

To get all the rattles out the three front body to frame bushings, one under battery, one under radiator, and one under overflow should be replaced too, they are not too bad to replace.

Replaced rear suspension too, same deal only rear springs are easy if you use spring compressors.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

hhumph1006

Hugh Campbell

1969 Coupe de Ville