News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

How do I Remove power window motor?

Started by 55 cadi, December 11, 2015, 11:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

55 cadi

Hello,

I need to replace my 55 4 door front passenger side window motor.

I see there are 3 bolt holes for the motor, but not sure how it is on the inside.

There are 4 screws under the door panel that are in the area of motor but only 3 screws for motor.

Is the motor attached to a mechanism?

What is the way to remove it?

My book does not say 

Thank you very much.

Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

David Greenburg

Is your book the factory shop manual?  It should have a detailed description.  I know the '56 manual does.  I don't have personal experience with those years, and I'm sure somebody else will provide some specific tips, but in the meantime, you need to know that there is a very powerful spring on the regulator that is held in place by the motor, and you need to have the regulator secured in a vice before trying to unbolt the motor.  Failure to do so will cause the regulator arms to snap together like a giant pair of scissors that can cut a finger to the bone (I unfortunately do have personal experience with this, including a permanent reminder in the form of about a 50% loss of sensation in my thumb from trying many years ago to unbolt a motor without being aware of the spring).
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

55 cadi

Thank you very much David.

That is some of the advise I was looking for!

And any other advise is still helpful, I will be doing in the next week so I want to make sure I have all info needed before.

It's rain time and don't want it down.

Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

David Greenburg

If it would be helpful, I could PM you with a PDF of the appropriate pages from the '56 shop manual I happen to have. If not identical, I would assume '55 is very similar to '56 in terms of the window mechanism.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special