News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

In-line fuse or fusible link

Started by 48caddymn, December 14, 2015, 02:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48caddymn

I'm going through the wiring on my 1948 Cadillac project and want to add a few fuses to protect the wires from any future mishaps.  It appears the thermo-breaker on the light switch is supposed to protect most of the wiring if a problem arises.  I would like to put either a fusible link or a in-line fuse with a 30 or 40 amp fuse down near the starter where the main power wire feeds the entire car.  What would be the best method; a fusible link or an 8 gauge in-line fuse holder with a 30 or 40 amp fuse?  Since the car is not in running condition yet, I'm not sure how may amps the power feed wire from the starter post usually will carry.

I also would like to add 15 amp fuses from where the headlight and taillight power feeds come off of the light switch to protect all the wires running to the front and rear of the car if that makes sense?  And advise or guidance would be welcomed. 

Dan

J. Gomez

Dan,

I’m not an expert on your year and model so my comments would be mostly in general terms to your electrical topic. Other experts with the same year and model may chime in.

Placing a fuse in-line with the source is always a good idea. However dealing with the headlight switch you would also need to consider the load from all of the lights sources.

The main issue you may be looking at is to protect the circuits and the most important to also protect the headlight switch.

The best option is to encompass both, to off-load the headlights from the main power source at the switch and to protect the rest of the circuits left on it.

The solution for the headlights is to add a relay (6V in you case) that would operate from the headlight switch and power for the headlight would be from a separate fused source via the relay contacts.

The rest of the light would be power from the switch as they were and the circuit breaker will protect that path. As an extra safety step you could add an in-line fuse on the main input power feed for extra protection.

I do believe these type of modifications would be considered as safety in case you want to participate in any judging tournament.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Jay Friedman

John Washburn (of Washburn's Wisdom in the Self Starter) recommends mounting a Standard 41-50 amp Voltage Regulator Fuse, VRP-21, on the B(AT) terminal of the voltage regulator to protect the wiring.  I've done this on my '49.  There are 2 such fuses for sale at this moment on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-Standard-Blue-Streak-Heavy-Duty-Voltage-Regulator-Fuse-VRP-21-/361014115032?hash=item540e1e3ad8:g:9bQAAOSwVFlT4RMr
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

bcroe

Quote from: 48caddymnI'm going through the wiring on my 1948 Cadillac project and want to add a few fuses to protect the wires from any future mishaps.  It appears the thermo-breaker on the light switch is supposed to protect most of the wiring if a problem arises.  I would like to put either a fusible link or a in-line fuse with a 30 or 40 amp fuse down near the starter where the main power wire feeds the entire car.  What would be the best method; a fusible link or an 8 gauge in-line fuse holder with a 30 or 40 amp fuse?  Since the car is not in running condition yet, I'm not sure how may amps the power feed wire from the starter post usually will carry.
I also would like to add 15 amp fuses from where the headlight and taillight power feeds come off of the light switch to protect all the wires running to the front and rear of the car if that makes sense?  And advise or guidance would be welcomed.  Dan 
My own experience is older fuses are unreliable in the long run, and may cause excess
voltage drop early on.  At the least they should be used in a water proof holder.  I prefer
trouble free (for me) fusible links, which take little space.  The wire is available to make
your own.  Bruce Roe

76eldo

Bruce,

What do you think about using a circuit breaker?  Hess and Eisenhardt used to grab voltage right at the battery for the convertible top and windows.  They installed a big circuit breaker under the dash on a bracket.  That protects the wiring and the top/window circuit which is a big draw.

On my cars, I moved the breaker to a spot under the hood much closer to the battery.  That way if there is a short the breaker protects all the wiring under the hood and dash on that circuit.  The way they did it was wrong.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

bcroe

Quote from: 76eldo on December 14, 2015, 11:15:10 PM
Bruce,  What do you think about using a circuit breaker?  Hess and Eisenhardt used to grab voltage right at the battery for the convertible top and windows.  They installed a big circuit breaker under the dash on a bracket.  That protects the wiring and the top/window circuit which is a big draw.

On my cars, I moved the breaker to a spot under the hood much closer to the battery.  That way if there is a short the breaker protects all the wiring under the hood and dash on that circuit.  The way they did it was wrong.   Brian   

There are those sealed breakers with the same tabs as a fuse.  Seem to usually be a 30A. 
I haven't used many, but they seem to be OK.  I would most worry about corrosion on the
tabs, esp if under hood.  Some have bolts, pretty reliable.  Bruce

76eldo

The Eldos of that vintage have a little red box under the hood on the right fender well which has a post for a wiring junction point. I took a second box from a parts car and put the breaker in that.

It's the square type with the two posts.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

48caddymn

Thanks for all the replies!  I think I will use the a waterproof 8 gauge fuse holder with a 40 amp fuse I found and splice it in down near the starter. I'm not concerned about the authenticity of the car since it will be just an unrestored driver.