News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

URGENT - 1962 Commercial Chassis generator query

Started by rustytractor, December 15, 2015, 06:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustytractor

Does anyone know if the armature in a commercial chassis generator varies from a standard generator?

Externally there are differences where the oil lubrication holes are - the commercial generator has cooling routed to the rear via a fresh air inlet so the rear lube point is located on the outside edge of the end casing near one of the terminals. The standard generator has the rear lube point lower down by the rear bearing.

The reason I ask is because the armature needs rewinding on my 1962 hearse (quite expensive over here) but I have access to a working, standard generator which I can remove the armature from.

Did the commercial chassis generator have a higher output and if so was this due to a different internal winding ? I may be wrong here but did A/C equipped cars have generator cooling ? I can't check as none of my 390 equipped cars has A/C but if I recall correctly the '59 that I just sold had A/C and I seem to remember a cooling duct going to the rear. 

I don't have the 1962 generator here at present so can't confirm the model number but the model number on my 1960 hearse is #1102141 - maybe this will be of hellp to anyone familiar with the differences between models.

I need to make a decision on this tomorrow so a quick answer would really help.
Too many cars - too little time !!

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Rusty,
The CC armature is the same as an AC armature. As heavy as you are into these cars, I'd suggest you invest in some MPL's that cover your years. That way you could get instant answers.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

David Greenburg

'59-'60 a/c cars (45 amp) have the cooling duct, attached at the rear.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

rustytractor

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on December 15, 2015, 07:00:23 PM
Rusty,
The CC armature is the same as an AC armature. As heavy as you are into these cars, I'd suggest you invest in some MPL's that cover your years. That way you could get instant answers.
HTH, Bob

That's true Bob but I'm trying to find these in digital format - paper is of no interest to me as they will never be where I need them whereas digital is available anywhere I am. A point being that I have a 1962 manual but it's not where I am now.

So if I understand correctly, if I have the generator from a 390 A/C car the armature would do the job. Would it matter what year the generator came from (or what model number for that matter ?)

rustytractor

Quote from: David Greenburg on December 15, 2015, 07:13:51 PM
'59-'60 a/c cars (45 amp) have the cooling duct, attached at the rear.

Any idea about later A/C cars, say '61 or '62 ?

quadfins

1961 & 1962 AC and commercial cars also have the 45 amp ducted generators. The duct is attached at the radiator support with the rubber grommet. The duct is attached to the elbow with a side-closing screw clamp, similar to the ones holding the AC ducts inside the passenger compartment. The elbow is held on solely by the wire bale.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Glen

Quote from: rustytractor on December 15, 2015, 07:32:26 PM
That's true Bob but I'm trying to find these in digital format - paper is of no interest to me as they will never be where I need them whereas digital is available anywhere I am. A point being that I have a 1962 manual but it's not where I am now.

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/1942-1973-Cadillac-Illustrated-Parts-Books-on-CD-ROM-P13405.aspx
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

rustytractor

Thanks for all the advice, at least I now know what I need.

I found out today that the 1962 hearse generator model number is #1102301 - I'll prob end up having the armature rewound as its prob better in the long run.

Glen, thanks for the link, ideally I'd like to go online and download what I need but a cd is the next best thing 👍🏻

Glen

Quote from: rustytractor on December 16, 2015, 05:55:59 PM
Glen, thanks for the link, ideally I'd like to go online and download what I need but a cd is the next best thing 👍🏻

The files on that CD are PDFs and I just transferred them to my laptop so that they are on the computer all the time.  The CD is a backup now.   It actually goes as far back as 1935. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104