News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Incorrect Wheel Covers?!?

Started by Evan Wojtkiewicz, December 15, 2015, 11:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Wojtkiewicz

I was checking out curbsideclassic.com which features old and interesting cars in their natural habitat, and they had a post which included a '67 with  incorrect wheel covers (gasp!) from a base model 80's Fleetwood. I really like the look. The turbine motif suits the car better than the originals to me. The stock wheel covers look like something you'd get on a Nova or a C10, but with a Cadillac crest glued on.

Why did Cadillac give up after Sabre wheels? In the sixties, every other GM division had several different choices for each nameplate not to mention alloys and Pontiac's 8-lug wheels. I'm not a big fan of Kelsey-Hayes or Truespoke Wire wheels on '67-'68s.

You can check out the article here: http://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/cc-outtake/cc-outtake-a-photo-bombing-ancestor/
CLC 29623

1967 DeVille convertible

The Tassie Devil(le)

Those Sabre Wheels must have been expensive to manufacture, and were an option on most models, apart from probably the Eldorado.

As for the Pontiac wheels, they were attached to the brake drum, and with the coming of the Disc Brakes, made them obsolete.

We mustn't forget that the car makers were there to make cars to sell, for the most profit, with the exception of the Eldorado Broughams.

The lesser "Models" as in GM's Chev, Fords Mustang, etc, these makers did have the sports wheels, but these were usually wider than the base wheel, and Cadillac wasn't really into the performance market, so there was no need.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Those wheel covers are standard equipment for a 1983 - 1985 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance that was originally black.

From 80-85, the vaned area on the standard Brougham d'Elegance wheel cover was color keyed to the body color.

There were two variants: A burgundy center was used 1980 - 1982; from 1983 - 1985 it is silver as shown on these.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute