News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

cadillac 1956 morraine brake booster taken apart

Started by DBDB, December 16, 2015, 09:59:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBDB

I try to put some pictures on here now as it does not separate , any possible bolt is out but the disq inside the mastercilinder prevents it from going apart

J. Gomez

Daniel,

The only possible obstruction would be the corrosion around the booster wall preventing the power piston to be pulled out. The power piston has a leather cup that may well be extremely dry also causing the blockage. If you look at Fig 7.26 on the page I posted you will notice the leather cup on the power piston.

Can you pushed the power piston inwards and/or rotated it just slightly?

WARNING - Since there is a large spring on the back side of the power piston, I would suggest placing a strap around the shaft blocking the power piston from abruptly escaping before you start the process.

You may need to clean the rust area and soak the power piston and lather cup with ATF, hopefully it will soften the cup. ??
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

wbdeford

Ah, it is the vacuum piston you are having trouble removing from the vacuum cylinder.  The master cylinder is what is bolted to the other end of the vacuum cylinder.  As J Gomez said, the rust is probably what is causing your problem.

Once the piston (and spring) are out, you just unbolt the master cylinder from the booster.  You will still need J-5794 or a similar tool to remove the end plug from the master cylinder.

Be prepared for a lot of rust in the master cylinder, too.  It will likely need to be sleeved.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

DBDB

Thanks for your help but i have put other pictures now and there you see the disc inside the master cylinder .Tool J5749 is that to take the disc away from the piston trough the opening in the reservoir ?
The power piston moves free in the housing around and up and down as does the piston in the master cylinder .
The bolts from the master cilinder are located behind the vacuum piston so i cannot take it away  .
The leather lining is out .

J. Gomez

Daniel,

You can add additional pictures to the same post without the need to open new ones. Maybe one of the moderators can merge your other post (http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=139031.0) here to keep everything in one place.

In looking at the pictures (a bit off focus) I would venture in saying what you see in the hole of the M/C is the power piston rod which slides inside the M/C.

The attached drawing will show you the rod #70 which slides inside the M/C through the plug (#23) and the rest of the seals inside the M/C (assembly - H). That rod moves inside the M/C to pressurize the brake fluid.

If you can moved and rotate the power piston inside the booster you will be able to also see the rod move inside the M/C.

The only thing that may restrict the rod from coming out from the M/C or from moving when you rotate the power piston would be severe rust on the rod (#70) inside the M/C that welded it with the bearing (#30) or the plug (#23). ???
J. Gomez
CLC #23082