News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1955 62 Tires -looking for largest tire that will fit

Started by 55 ledsled, December 19, 2015, 01:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

55 ledsled

Hello,
I have a 55 series 62 sedan. My plan was to get it drivable and worry about paint and body work later. I am going for sort of a ratrod look for now. Anyone know what the biggest black-walled tire that will fit in a 15" rim on this car? I am planning on lowering the car 3". Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

k8096

I had 235 75 15 sized radials on the 6267X convertible I drove as an everyday car in high school.   Only thing is it's a pain to get them under the rear fenders.   You have to jack the car way up, put jack stands on the frame, then lower the car on the stands so the axle will fall down low enough to slip the wheel under the fender.   
J Gehring

cadillac ken

J. Gehring is right on.  I had the same problem with my '58.  The wheel opening is styled as to leave precious little space to "manipulate" the tire and wheel out of and up into the wheel well.  Once the car is up I usually deflate the tire first.  It helps a little.

The solution we came up with for a 1955 Chevy (same problem) was to design and machine an over center mechanism, sort of like a cam arrangement that would allow you to "release" the shock lower mount and then the rear leaf would drop a bit lower to allow an easier time of it.

Sadly I will need a bit more engineering on my '58 since it has air ride and the air bags won't tolerate the shock drop method.

Roger Zimmermann

If you lift the rear of the car more or less like the standard bumper jack is doing, then, due to the crossed rear axle, there will be enough space between the fender edge and drum to remove and install a wheel without to deflate the tire.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

walt chomosh #23510

Odd problem K8096 has. I've owned and driven my 55CDV for over 16yrs with original wheels,Chevy truck wheels,and spoke wheels and never had a problem.(235/75/15) There's no telling how many times I've had the tire/wheels off and on?...walt...tulsa,ok