News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Brake light switch failure?

Started by gary griffin, December 20, 2015, 03:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

I have two cars with the dual master cylinder kits and the brake light works fine in the 1940 LaSalle but not in the Cadillac 1942-6719    The installer forgot to install a tee for the brake light switch so we took out a section of front brake line from the master cylinder forward and added a tee and brake light switch and it did not work, so we replaced it with another new one and it did not work either. The fluid reservoirs are full but we did not bleed the brakes in case we have to change the switch again. There is power to the switch but none coming from the switch when pressing the pedal. Could air in the system cause this? I doubt it as it would exert the same pressure as the fluid would?  Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Bobby B

Gary,
Jump the switch first just to make sure it's NOT the switch and therefore it's a blockage of some sort (or air). I've never had a problem like that unless the switch itself was faulty.
                               Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

gary griffin

Bobby,

We checked the current coming into the switch and held a volt meter on the other side of the switch and activated the pedal, also plugged it into the harness and the brake lights did not come on. I am wondering if the duality is the problem. The rear brakes seating before the front brakes receive fluid pressure? There must be something in the master cylinder to prevent that though.
Gary Griffin

Steve Passmore

Air will compress Gary whereas fluid will not so it could be the air doing it especially if you didn't bleed after fitting a 'T' in the line.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Bobby B

Gary,
Check up with what Steve said. The only time there would be a proportioning valve would be if you had front disc and rear drum. The purpose of the brake proportioning valve is to equalize the braking pressure between the rear and front brakes. If a driver brakes hard, the brake proportioning valve coordinates more pressure to assist the front brakes so that the rear wheels do not freeze or lock. Technically, if everything if operating correctly, you should have even pressure in all the lines exiting the master regardless of how many "Tee's" you have in the system, unless you have air trapped in the line somewhere. Was the MASTER Bled first? If it wasn't, you could possibly be bleeding till the cows come home to get the air out of the remaining brake lines. Some cars are take longer to bleed than others, due to the various positioning of the components.  Make me happy first and remove the two wires off the switch and jump them to see if you have brake lights. I have gotten bad switches right out of the box. Take nothing for granted in today's aftermarket…..
                                                                                                      Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Bill Ingler #7799

Gary: I was taught many years ago that whenever you work on a wheel cylinder or remove a brake line, always bleed the whole system. On a side note on the brake switches. The only new brake switches being made are from Mexico. These I have found have a high failure rate. I have had a new switch right out of the package that was bad. The old NOS switches like by Cole-Boston or Niehoff are the switches you should try to use. Getting harder to find plus expensive.  Bill

TMoore - NTCLC

I agree with Bill (as usual) - I have had a high failure rate with the current aftermarket brake light switches.  Test the switch under known pressure to rule that out first (switch with the known good LaSalle to verify that the suspect switch works).  If that is verified, then I would agree that you might possibly still have air in the line.   I bled my lines over and over - had a great firm pedal, excellent brakes, but no lights with a new switch.  Put the old one back in, and viola - brake lights at the lightest tap of the brake pedal.

TJ Hopland

I have never had good luck with pressure switches especially when power brakes are involved.  Seen it many times where the lights may come on at first when you are coming to a complete stop but then will go off again unless you really keep your foot down hard. 

I have also had a lot of issues getting them bleed out properly which could lead to the not reliable / desired operation.   It does not take much air to soften the operation.   Unscrewing the switch to bleed the T is just about required and is a real hassle.  On one car before I finally gave up on it I even tried to pre fill the switch with fluid before installing thinking that perhaps there was air in the switch itself.   Maybe the internal switch design has changed and there is more internal volume that does not really bleed?

What I finally ended up doing was fabricating a simple L bracket that I hose clamped to the steering column that had a simple hardware store switch on it.  I used a small piece of hose around the shaft of the switch to help act as a bumper for the pedal arm so it was not slamming directly into the switch.   It also helped my pedal travel issue in this case. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

gary griffin

Thamks for the good advice, I do not think I will bother to finish bleeding the brakes until I can find a GOOD brake light switch. Does anybody know of a source for the Cole-Boston, or the Niehoffer that Bill mentioned.
Gary Griffin

gary griffin

I found a Wagner FC 7715 in my spare parts box, and it was labeled "Made in America" I will assume it means USA?  I am searching for a glove box light switch and will keep on looking for a replacement brake light switch from the ones that Bill Ingler suggested. Bill has been looking over my shoulder and saving my bacon during my restoration. Hopefully I will be able to pay it forward someday. The guys on this forum have all been  a great deal of assistance.
Gary Griffin

Steve Passmore

When you say you want a glove box light switch what type are you looking for Gary? The ones I have on my original cars where Mercury operated and never seem to work for some reason even though they still have the Mercury. Its still possible to buy some other type of Mercury switch to adapt to it or is yours more mechanical?
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Paul Phillips

I have the same situation on the glove box for my 41-60S. I found a 'ball bearing' type of tilt switch that looks like it can be repackaged in the housing from the original mercury switch. Should know in a few days how well that will work.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout