News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

68 -472 Dipstick Length

Started by Golf Caddy, December 21, 2015, 06:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golf Caddy

Finished complete rebuild on my 68 - 472, starts like a champ.  However, when adding fluids before initial start, added 5 quarts of break in oil as per manual,  oil pressure was strong and steady.  After we shut it down oil just barely showing on dip stick.  No leaks,  positive we have tube all the way in the block,  can't figure out why not showing on dip stick.   All parts original ( tube & stick).  Read these motors take much 7.5 qts. but that seems wrong,  ideas .??

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Tom,
If you re used the original stick and tube you may have bent the tube (to clear the crank) too much.  No 7-1/2 quarts.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

TJ Hopland

5 quarts for a RWD.
6 quarts for a Eldorado. 

The sticks can be a real pain to remove and re install without damage.  I ended up wrecking mine and replacing it with brake line.  I didn't have anything to reference for length so I made it long then added 6 quarts (mine is an Eldo), ran it, let it sit then checked the level.   I then cut how far it was off off the tube and called it good. 

I know on the Eldo's the bottom of the tube has some bends in it after it gets in the pan.  I have not done a RWD so I don't know if its got the same possible issues.    There are also 2 holes depending on eldo or not so maybe if its in the wrong hole that adds some bends?

My memory is too fuzzy and I don't have a car handy so I can't give any measurements but if you need them I'm sure someone can check theirs and tell you.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

wbdeford

With new filter, a '68 RWD takes 5 quarts, while a FWD takes 6 quarts.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

Scot Minesinger

Yes, you should have a shop manual too and that would confirm what everyone wrote, which I agree with.  This happened to me too where dip stick was not right after engine rebuild.  For right now, mark where 5 (or 6 if FWD) quarts of oil is on the dip stick.  Never overfill.  You don't write if RWD or FWD.

First make sure dip stick tube is in all the way and not damaged (I think there is a lip to stop it).  If it is out, you may not want to force it in further because it may hit crank or kink

Buy another dipstick (e-bay, Cadillac King and many other sources).  Then see where that comes up to with 5 or 6 quarts (full).  Measure the distance from cap on top of dip stick to where oil is full and write it down.  The dip stick length is adjustable.  With cap handle in vice and pliers on dip stick pull it until full level is where it should be according to measurement.  The dip stick is kind of accordion folded up at top neat cap and will unfold with sufficient pulling force.  That is how I got mine right.  If you mess up the dip stick you have the original. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Same stupid thing happened to me. I just know where the full mark is and check it that way. I am afraid to have it go down further because I don't know how the tube bends in there. I am concerned if it goes in further it may be hit by the crank.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Glen

from the 68 shop manual.
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Glen,
Why not show them the tube & indicator lengths in group 1.516 in the MPL?
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Glen

Good idea Bob.  See attached.
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Golf Caddy

Thanks to everyone guys.   Yes it is a Deville Convertible RWD.  I too came up with the same #'s from my manual as far as quantity,  4 qts. 5 with new oil filter.  I remember during the build the tube being a little difficult and we did have to tweek ever so slightly around crank.   I guess I was just reaching for something we may have missed.  I did think about trying the slightly longer stick,  I know the tube clears the crank so an extra inch on it should at least give me a reading.   I'm just beside myself with this simple little snag after so much time and energy on the ground up rebuild.   My consolation is,  first start went smooth and she purrs like a big block caddy should.

Thanks for the responses

Scot Minesinger

If dip stick length is only thing you have to fix after this, consider yourself lucky.  It took me about fifteen minutes to lengthen my dip stick., all you need is vice bolted to work bench and pliers.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Tom,
Which hole in the block have you got the tube in? The front one is for the RWD cars.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-