News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

My '76 Eldorado - update

Started by LenInLA, December 22, 2015, 09:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LenInLA

Just an update for those who've been following my saga :)

I took the caddy to a Cadillac repair shop in LA.  They put in additional gas - and voila, the car started. So, as Brian and others have thought, it was the lack of gas.  The three or so gallons that I put in was apparently not enough.  The mechanic suspects that the sensor in the fuel tank is malfunctioning.

I did get a pleasant surprise. The mechanics said that apparently a tremendous amount of work has been recently done on the car; he estimates at least $10K worth of work.  I guess the previous owner must've had the car worked on before he passed away. 

So, the car was given a very clean bill of health; I'm going to fix the small transmission leak and replace a few belts; but even the mechanic couldn't find anything to do over $1500.  So, I'm a happy camper - I was very worried that I ended up with a lemon.

Now I'll concentrate on the external issues; driver side door; head/back light trim, etc.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Congratulations on the good news.

Three gallons in these 28 gallon tanks doesn't go far, but in the driving mode, the fuel sloshing around the bottom of the tank gets sucked up into the line.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

savemy67

Hello Leonard,

Owning an old car can be an emotional roller coaster.  You have a great car in your '76 Eldorado, but you have a 39 year old car.  Just because you may have to repair something in the near future does not necessarily mean you bought a lemon.  I don't want to cause you anxiety, but start to reconcile the thought that the small transmission leak could be a $1000 repair if you pay a mechanic to do the job.  The point is keep things in perspective.  Have fun with the car, enjoy the car, and consider the expense of any repairs as the price for that fun and enjoyment.

You can be pro-active by asking the mechanic, who thinks a great deal of work has been recently done, to specifically list what he thinks has been done.  You might also try contacting the relatives of the previous owner to see if there are any receipts for any work recently done.  Find out as much as you can about your car, and research what makes an Eldorado an Eldorado.

Respectfully submitted,
Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Technically speaking, only new (or relatively late model) cars qualify for "lemon" status.

For antique cars, we just call them money pits.  ;D
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

76eldo

Sounds like you are getting it sorted out.
Generally these cars need something when you buy them.

Mine luckily has only needed an exhaust system in 12 years but I've only put about 2000 miles on it in 12 years.

Brian.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

LenInLA

Brian, all:

Do you find that costs accumulate much faster if you put more miles on your Cadillac or not? In my experience with the Bentley and the Rolls - I end up spending the same amount whether I put on 1K miles or 3K miles a year.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I've always held that "dead storage" does more harm than occasional use although usage does incur other types of maintenance.

When a car is up and running with all systems serviced, it probably won't matter very much whether the car is driven 1,000 or 3,000 miles annually this side of normal wear items.

However, I would strongly recommend against multiple short runs as this will definitely shorten the life of the exhaust system because the engine will not have enough time to evaporate condensation in the system, and more condensation is added every time the engine is run. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

76eldo

There is no real difference between 1000 a year or 3000 miles really.
Naturally wear items like brakes and tires will wear slightly but as Eric says it's better to use the car occasionally than just let it sit still for a year or two.

Brian

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

I almost think it cost more to not drive them.  If you don't drive them for extended periods it seems like when you do go to drive them there is more wrong.   At least if you drive them regularly you are likely regularly dealing with some of the issues that come up.

Its also nice to get some actual use out of the rubber parts.  It really stinks having to replace tires that look new just because they are old. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

LenInLA

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on December 23, 2015, 04:33:31 PM
However, I would strongly recommend against multiple short runs as this will definitely shorten the life of the exhaust system because the engine will not have enough time to evaporate condensation in the system, and more condensation is added every time the engine is run.

Eric - what do you consider short runs? Right now I plan to use the car about twice a week (it's always sunny in California); drive to my parents; which is about a 6 mile one-way trip.  So, we're talking about 25 miles a week.

76eldo

I like to let my cars warm up for a good five minutes before driving them.  Six miles is enough to get the car up to temperature, but an occasional blast on the highway does the car a world of good.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

bill06447

If I don't run my Eldorado at least once every two weeks it dumps a pint of transmission oil from some unknown source. I find it's less headache to start and drive it on occasion than track down a mystery leak...

Bill

Scot Minesinger

I'm right there with the last several posts.  Drive your car.  They were engineered to be driven.  I drive my 1970 Cadillacs once a week unless weather or salt on road forbids it.  If you ever notice how many trailer queens sound leaving and entering the trailer not to mention the fluid leaks, it is tragic.  The cost is more to maintain it perfectly driving it 500 miles a year compared to 4k.  Mechanics familiar with cars of this era say the biggest problem is disuse.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

jwjohnson86

Agreed, Scot.  When I got my car last summer it hadn't been used often.  I experienced fluid leakage out of the rear end and assumed the gasket would need to be replaced.  After driving the car often during the summer and fall, the leak disappeared - clearly the gasket needed to be re-moistened through regular use.  I stored the car in an indoor heated storage facility in November - in hindsight with the weather we have had up north this fall and our green Christmas, I could have kept the car at home until at least New Year's. 
1970 DeVille Convertible 472 cid

http://bit.ly/1NhHpdt

76eldo

Use may fix the slight trans leak, and I'd try some Lucas trans additive.  That stuff is fantastic.  An old used car dealer trick is to add a couple of spoonfulls of brake fluid to the trans.  Brake fluid swells the rubber seals slightly and also stops leaks.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

Just some fresh fluids will often help leaks.  New fluids (what ever they are) have fresh additive packages and will often help seals.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bcroe

Quote from: LenInLA
I did get a pleasant surprise. The mechanics said that apparently a tremendous amount of work has been recently done on the car; he estimates at least $10K worth of work.  I guess the previous owner must've had the car worked on before he passed away. 

Check if the car has a replacement timing chain set, replacement brake hoses, and recent tires. 
Do check that all brake lines are in good condition.  And the gas tank.  And if he really went all
out, the trans has been out for at least a complete seal set. 

With a 304 stainless steel exhaust, there is no worry about evaporating moisture. 

Bruce (79 Eldo owner who practices what he preaches) Roe

Rob Troxel

Quote from: bill06447 on December 23, 2015, 09:26:46 PM
If I don't run my Eldorado at least once every two weeks it dumps a pint of transmission oil from some unknown source. I find it's less headache to start and drive it on occasion than track down a mystery leak...

Bill
When I got my 68 Eldo with 64 K miles on it some years ago, the previous owner fessed up that the trans leaked.  He surmised it was a pan gasket. With optimistic thinking in" gear", I agreed with his diagnosis. Well it turns out the car would puke up anywhere from a pint to a half quart of trans fluid, coming from the torque convertor area of the bell housing after it was driven and during cool down. Well, it needed a total rebuild as the original internal seals were like cookie dough, and the clutches were also on their way out.  Further examination on the cars underside showed evidence of a trailer hitch. The rebuild was for the best as the flywheel was also missing teeth. It cost me 1750 bucks to learn this lesson but I can tell you the car has brought lots of pleasure over the years and it gets me out of the house!  Best of luck for your 76!

66 Eldo

Quote from: bill06447 on December 23, 2015, 09:26:46 PM

Bill

Your mystery source of your leak is likely the pan gasket, the dipstick O-ring, or the modulator O-ring.

66 Eldo

Quote from: LenInLA on December 22, 2015, 09:53:46 PM
Just an update for those who've been following my saga :)

So, the car was given a very clean bill of health; I'm going to fix the small transmission leak and replace a few belts; but even the mechanic couldn't find anything to do over $1500. So, I'm a happy camper - I was very worried that I ended up with a lemon.

Now I'll concentrate on the external issues; driver side door; head/back light trim, etc.

Len, sounds like you will be enjoying your car soon with a relatively low initial outlay. I like the earlier post suggesting you get a list of what repairs looked to have been recently done.

However, $1500 is not Chump Change. A few belts and a small transmission leak? Or is he doing more than that for $1500?