News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1967-78 Eldorado valve stems, wheel balancing/tire mounting

Started by Scot Minesinger, December 23, 2015, 09:16:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

I wrote back a month or so ago and inquired about lug centric/hub centric Cadillac rims of the 1960's/1970's.  The trigger was pulled and on Monday my Road Force Hunter tire balancer is in my garage along with a major tire changer (takes a foot print 4' deep by 7' wide).  Getting them set up, reading directions and etc.

Have the CAX weights, regular weights, stick weights, hand tools, long and short valve stems, and etc.

Anyway the reason for this post is the Eldorado valve stems are "L" shaped and the one in a rim I'm working on is brass where it penetrates rim.  Where do I get these and is there anything I need to look out for?
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

TJ Hopland

That is the original style for the 66/67-78's.  Usually what goes bad is the rubber gasket part but I have not seen anyone selling just the gaskets.   I have tried taking gaskets off common metal stems but they were not quite right.    Specialty vendors have them like USA parts.   Seems like some people reported GM still had them as of about 10 years ago.   Napa had them listed but some reported there were some fit issues with them.   I bought a set from them but have not tried to install them.   Looking at them they look like they will work so maybe napa had a bad batch that were not formed right?

Thing to look for is that they don't hit anything when installed with disc brakes.  When I first got my car and put new tires on it one was rubbing on the caliper and rubbed through.  It just takes a soft hammer or a block of wood to tweak em if they are rubbing slightly.  This can especially get you when you rotate the tires on a car that had rear drums.  Since the drums turn with the wheels it won't hurt if they stick out a bit, its only when you move those to a disc that you may have a problem.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

savemy67

Hello Scot,

I stumbled upon this firm while searching for some tire related issue.  I have not done business with them, but they might be a source for you.

http://patchboy.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=P&Category_Code=6-6

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

TJ Hopland

Napa is NTH90417.     Also see 17-417 and just #417 listed as possible part numbers.     One place on this forum lists it as a 471 but I assume that is a typo.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Glen

When I ask the clerk at NAPA for the valve stems for a 68 Eldorado they tell me they don’t have them.  Then I ask them by part number 90-417 they tell me they have a bunch in the warehouse.  I buy them 5 at a time.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Scot Minesinger

Thanks guys, I'm all set now.

Any recommendation on tire patches, the kind where tire is removed to patch from inside?  I was looking at the "All Tire Supply" site and there patches that even worked on side wall!  Are those any good?

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Scott,
Would you drive at 70+ MPH with your family in the car on a tire who's sidewall has been compromised?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Scot Minesinger

Greg,

I don't know.  If the side wall was punctured by a nail, it seems that would be more of a leak than a structural failure.  If it was a slash, probably not.  Since I can now remove a tire and patch from inside, which would seem like the best way, I would trust my repair more than if a tire shop did it. 

Ten years ago, my sidewall was punctured by a nail, and had to replace the tire - what a waste.  If that puncture could be safely repaired, I would have done it.

You make a point, the patch is a few bucks tops and the manufacturer of it advertising that side wall patches are OK likely has absolutely no liability if it fails.  That is why I ask, does anyone have experience?  Your answer is not worth the risk, maybe you are right.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

I haven't had a tire vendor that would patch ANY sidewall breach in probably 40 years.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Scot Minesinger

Right, and I was surprised that the vendor was advertising side wall patch.  Let's see if anyone has any experience with a side wall patch.  If not, I can take a tire that is almost gone with no tread, puncture side wall, repair it from inside using this patch method, and test it out very carefully.

The Tassie Devil(le)

The biggest problem with a patch on the side of the tyre is the need for the glue to sustain constant flexing of the sidewall, combined with the centrifical forces of rotation.

A patch at the tread surface won't have the added centrifical forces trying to remove it, the these centrifical forces are actually holding it in place.

The most done repair is to place a tube in the tyre, but with these Eldorado wheels needing a special valve, this is not possible.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

76eldo

Sidewall repairs are a very bad idea.  No reputable tire stores will do it.  They won't even attempt a repair if the puncture is in the tread but very close to the sidewall.

Tires are really important safety items, just like brakes.  Would you try to patch a leaking brake hose?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

I was surprised to find out they don't even like to do side wall repairs on low speed stuff like tractors.   At work we had just go new rear tires on the tractor for about $600 each and one of the guys grazed something and put a slit in the sidewall.  It was a big enough slit that you could see the tube.   Figured for sure that could be patched but after the effort it too to take it off and get it to the tire shop found out no go and we had to order another tire.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

cadman56

A shame the NAPA clerk couldn't find the part.  also probably due to the fact parts stores use computers, for the most part, to find parts now.  I owned & operated a NAPA store for 12 yrs.  Biggest mistake I made when selling it was not keeping a set of the old catalogs.  Kicked myself many times for that.  I used the 90-417 stems in my 67 eldo when building it.  They worked fine & I had factory disc brakes.
Yep, stay away from sidewall repairs. 
Good luck, Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820