News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1936 346 piston

Started by Dennis Long, December 23, 2015, 12:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Long

Hello all,
New poster here. Spend some time hanging out on the AACA forums.
I have a 36 60 series coupe with 26,000 miles. It has been sitting for a long time.
It has one broken piston and rings The rest of the motor looks great .No damage to the rod or
cylinder wall.
Where might I be able to find a piston and rings that are used OEM or NOS?
I have all the parts of the broken piston to match the weight but I don't think that would be possible with an aftermarket piston.
See any problems with this logic?
Thanks,
Dennis Long

gary griffin

First use a micrometer to make sure your engine has not been re-bored. Then try Terrill  Machine in Texas at 254 893 2619.  They should have any needed internal parts for your engine. I would weigh your piston and the replacement to make sure they are the same.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Dennis Long

Thanks for the reply Gary. I have checked and do have standard bore.
I have not talked to Terrill, but there listing says their ring sets are for their pistons.
I am assuming that their pistons are like other aftermarket and are 3 ring with a
much thicker skirt than OEM. I am concerned about the additional weight.
Dennis Long

harvey b

Dennis,sometimes you see them on ebay,not sure if the 37 and up are the same?,seen a set on there recently. Harvey
Harvey Bowness

Steve Passmore

No Harvey, the piston ring size and configuration changed several times before WW2 and then went to the 3 ring setup. Another problem is after-market manufactures made pistons and rings to their own specification.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

harvey b

I think if you were only replacing 1 piston,it shouldnt matter if it had 2 or 3 rings?,the machine shop should be able to reduce the weight so it will match the others pretty close.It wouldnt keep me from trying it,also you ncould advetise on the wanted section here,someone might have a old motor you could get a piston from. Harvey
Harvey Bowness

gary griffin

If I were doing it I would find a set of pistons and replace them all as well as honing the cylinders, and possibly even lapping the valves.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Dennis Long

Sorry guys,
As pointed out in WTB. My Cadillac  is a 37. Too many projects!
Thanks,
Dennis Long

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Dennis,
I sent you a PM quite awhile ago. Did you ever get it? Do you know how to open one? Anyway , I have a # of good used 4 ring pistons & I'm sure I can find a nice one. I also have a NOS set of Hastings rings in Std. bore. They are the 4 ring style. Please contact me at bobscads@comcast.net to discuss it.
Thanks,Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Dennis Long

Good morning Bob,
I sent you an E-mail yesterday. Did you receive it?
Thanks,
Dennis Long

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hi Dennis,
Yes, I did receive it. I'll respond later today.
Thanks, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.