News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Solution for lazy power windows??

Started by gary griffin, December 24, 2015, 03:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

I have tried spray silicon but it seems to last only a short time?  Is there a simple solution to this problem?? What can I try without taking the doors apart? Graphite spray in the channels?? This is for my 1957 60-Special but I assume the solutions will work for all power and even all sticky manual windows also?

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Jon S

Is it the window slides or tired motors?  My 1958's go up/down so fast you could catch a fly.  Can't say that I've lubricated them in the past 57 years.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

gary griffin

They go up pretty fast until about 3/4 of the way up.  It could mean that there is more load on them then or they are getting into an area with more friction?

Car has a lot of years in storage with only 80,000 miles. Last owner had it painted and then did not drive it for 7 years. Unfortunately there are some door dings and a little rust coming up from under the trim.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Jon S

Quote from: gary griffin on December 24, 2015, 04:22:20 PM
They go up pretty fast until about 3/4 of the way up.  It could mean that there is more load on them then or they are getting into an area with more friction?

In that case it could be the rivited joints of the "sissors" that need lubrication or they just need some exercising.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT