News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Eldorado tire pressure

Started by LenInLA, December 27, 2015, 11:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LenInLA

Question pls: the factory recommended settings for my 1976 Eldorado indicate 28 and 20 psi. My Bentley, which is approximately the same weight runs on 30/36 psi. Cadillac recommendations seem way off - or am I just not getting something?

Thanks!

76eldo

The car will feel good with 30-32 all the way around.

If it feels a little bumpy, adjust downward.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Glen

The Eldo is front wheel drive and has more weight on the front axle then the rear.   Therefore you need more pressure in the front.   The shop manual recommends front 25 psi and rear 22 psi for my 68 ELDO. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

The Tassie Devil(le)

The Factory Tyre Pressures for my '72 Eldo was for Cross-ply tyres, and to give a soft ride.

Radials require at least 35 on the front and 30 at the rear, simply because of the weight at the front.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: LenInLA on December 27, 2015, 11:51:52 PM
My Bentley, which is approximately the same weight runs on 30/36 psi.

You don't say which year is your Bentley. As it was probably fitted with radial tires, the pressure is higher than for bias-ply for the same capacity. This is one of the main differences between bias-ply and radials tires. Then come driving habits: when Cadillac were delivered new in Europe, the tires had probably to be inflated at a higher pressure because Europeans and not driving like Americans...
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Jon S

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on December 28, 2015, 01:40:11 AM
The Factory Tyre Pressures for my '72 Eldo was for Cross-ply tyres, and to give a soft ride.

Radials require at least 35 on the front and 30 at the rear, simply because of the weight at the front.

Bruce. >:D

Agree - Could even go to 32 at the rear.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

TJ Hopland

The 76 Eldo would have come stock with radials?   Interesting that it said 28 and 20.  20 seems especially low.   The back of those cars are not that light.

I run radials on my 73 and 30-32 all around is what I have been doing.  Higher just seem to really make for a harsh ride.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

savemy67

Hello Len,

The factory recommended tire pressure is usually for the factory installed tires, or tires of the same type and dimension.   Comparing the Cadillac recommended pressure to the Bentley's recommended pressure is not a valid comparison.

What tires are on your Eldorado?  Most likely, somewhere on the tire sidewall is a UTQG (uniform tire quality grade) rating.  The rating provides an indication of the tire's treadwear, traction, and temperature resistance, so that any tire can be compared to any other tire made by the same, or another manufacturer.  Several tires that fit your Eldorado will come with different UTQG ratings and each tire will feel different at the same pressure, based on how the tire manufacturer built the tire to achieve the UTQG rating that the manufacturer desired for that tire.

The tire sidewall will also have the month and year when that tire was manufactured.  How old are the tires on your Eldorado?  Some people replace tires based on age, not mileage.  Given the job the front tires on an Eldorado have to do, the front tires need to be good quality.

You might want to research UTQG ratings and inquire as to which of the factors is most important for the feel you want in your Eldorado.  For example, a tire with a UTQG treadwear rating of 400 might feel harsher than the same size tire with a rating of 200 at the same tire pressure.  The tire with the 400 rating is supposed to last longer than the tire with a 200 rating, but other factors influence tread life.  The UTQG ratings are somewhat subjective, but you can use them as a stating point in tire selection.

Respectfully submitted,
Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

TJ Hopland

These days we are lucky to find a 75 series tire at all and even luckier if its got any sort of a white wall.   We can only dream of having options to compare beyond that.    Maybe that would be an option if that service we have hard of from Diamond Back is true and reasonably priced where they can apply the white wall of your choice to the tire of your choice? 

35-709

Diamondback does, and will, indeed put the whitewall width of your choice on the tire of your choice.  I requested a 7/8" WW on these tires and that is exactly what I got.  Whether one considers it reasonably priced or not is up to that person.

The whitewalls on my '35 resto-mod seen in the picture below are 245/70-16 Michelin Latitude Tours with added whitewalls by Diamondback.  The invoice was $1167 (including their purchase of the tires and shipping) for the 4 tires, no doubt more today.  They are now 5 years and 23,000 miles old.  Most of the miles put on these tires are long distance turnpike miles at 70/72 MPH including 5 trips each summer since 2011 from Florida to upstate New York with side trips to the Boston GN, the Lake George GN, and Indianapolis to visit my great-grandson.  We do not trailer the car.  Point is, the tires perform as I would expect from Michelins and look as if Michelin itself had made the tires as whitewalls, which Michelin does not.   
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

LenInLA

The tires on my 76 Eldorado are the whitewall Uniroyals - 235/70-15. Look to have plenty of thread left, but I haven't checked the age. I suspect they're quite old. I could be wrong, but I believe these were the factory tires.

What do you think of the Coker tires? They go for about $200+ for white walls.

I had to shell out close to $3000 for four new Avon tires for my 1992 Bentley this year, so nothing shocks me anymore :)

Jon S

I have the Coker's and am very happy with them.  I like that they have the BF Goodrich logo on the blackwall unlike Diamondback's smooth no name buffed off blackwalls.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

James Landi

Not intending to add to chorus of varying voices, but I have found that the factory recommendations make for a much more comfortable ride-  I suspect that the torsion bar suspension may contribute to the shock transfer when tires are inflated beyond the recommended pressure.  I have fitted my19 85 Eldorado Convertible with Vogue tires, and I run them at the 30 psi lower min pressure, and they provide a terrific ride WITHOUT the harshness associated with "standard radial " inflation.     I might also add that for around town driving, riding on "under inflated " tires will provide you with the comfort you expect and you won't do any noticeable damage to the tires.   I would not, however, take an under-inflated tire on the highway.     James

Caddyjack

Quote from: TJ Hopland on December 28, 2015, 09:15:51 AM
The 76 Eldo would have come stock with radials?   Interesting that it said 28 and 20.  20 seems especially low.   

It must be a typo in the original post. The 1976 Eldo pressures as stated in the manual and on the sticker inside the glove box is 28 psi front, 24 psi rear.

That said, I run my '76 Eldo 32 front, 28 rear with great results.
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

TJ Hopland

I don't know if I have tried different front vs rear.   Next summer I may give it a try and see if there is a difference.

Interesting theory about the torsion bar suspension making things different.   Did the torsion bar Mopars have a different feel too?

76eldo

Those Uniroyals are too old to run safely at highway speeds.
I don't normally subscribe to the 10 year rule but you may be pushing 20 year old tires. I haven't seen those Uniroyals for a long time.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

EAM 17806

I use 28 PSI on all fours on my 76 coupe deville, which weighs 5025 lbs, after many trials of various tire pressures. Higher pressures than 28 make the ride feel like you are in some kind of a truck, especially at 32 PSI you can feel every crack in the rode. The factory sticker suggests 24 front and 28 in the rear for radial tires with a full load in that year. Sure, there was a slight improvement in radial tire construction since then but not enough that would require higher pressures, in my opinion. A 28 PSI on all fours give you a decent ride and helps somewhat on gas mileage and sufficient pressure for safety. Some guys put high pressure to try to obtain better gas mileage and just don't care about the hard ride; these cars are used for enjoyment and if you're concerned about gas mileage primarily then these great cars are not for you.  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

James Landi

It truly "boils" down to ride quality versus tire pressure-- with safety being the imperative. (IMO)  I don't think you're pushing the safety issue if you're driving at moderate speeds (around town) with the lower recommended pressure-- why sacrifice the Cadillac experience and have your car ride like a TRUCK?).   I can say for certain that the Vogue tires seem to shock absorb exceptionally well at higher inflation pressures with the torsion bar suspension ('85 Eldo).   I also feel that GM achieved the smooth ride by recommending those questionable tire pressures that, to our modern sensibilities seems dangerous.   Happy New Year, James

Caddyjack

Quote from: EAM 17806 on January 01, 2016, 01:20:57 PM
I use 28 PSI on all fours on my 76 coupe deville, which weighs 5025 lbs, after many trials of various tire pressures. Higher pressures than 28 make the ride feel like you are in some kind of a truck, especially at 32 PSI you can feel every crack in the rode. The factory sticker suggests 24 front and 28 in the rear for radial tires with a full load in that year. Sure, there was a slight improvement in radial tire construction since then but not enough that would require higher pressures, in my opinion. A 28 PSI on all fours give you a decent ride and helps somewhat on gas mileage...
Keep in mind that the Eldorado is front wheel drive and all of that extra weight up front is the reason for increased pressure by 4 psi (as recommended by the factory) for the front tires. The Coupe DeVille would understandably be different.
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

bcroe

I actually run tires enough to wear them out before they are too old (6
years).  I adjust pressure so that they wear evenly across.  Worn on the
edges means too little pressure; in the center is too much.  The result
is some 10 psi higher than the "soft ride" recommendation.  Fine, it
handles better.  The local dealers can always get me the right size at
a reasonable price. 

There are only 2 car tire sizes here.  I have cars not driven so much, so
when the most frequently driven are showing wear, those tires are
transferred to a car not driven so much.  The tires off the car at the