News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Tires for 1976 El Dorado

Started by LenInLA, January 03, 2016, 12:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LenInLA

Following Brian's advice to change the ~20 yo Uniroyals on my 76 El dorado, I've been doing some research on the new tires. As I want white walls, it appears that three companies make the 235/70R15 white walls. Coker, Diamondback, and Vogue. The latter have a funky gold and white wall. But they're also about 1/3 cheaper.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

chrisntam

Do you have a Discount Tire in your area?  I just bought whatever whitewall tire they had.  Made by Hankook, I think.  Not many choices these days.....
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

59edsel

I BOUGHT HANKOOK 235-75-R15 FOR MY 54 CADDY,  PAID JUST UNDER $90 A TIRE  M/B OUT THE DOOR FROM MY LOCAL TIRE STORE. I'VE USED THESE WHITEWALLS ON SEVERAL OLD CARS , NEVER A PROBLEM, LOOKING TO BUY A SET FOR MY 77 TORONADO SOON,  HOPE THIS HELPS, MIKE READING

76eldo

To me the 1.6 wide whitewall gives the car the nicest look. Since we
Don't drive these cars all that much it's going to probably be a ten year purchase.  For the difference it's worth getting the factory look tires in my opinion.

If I were buying tires I'd go with Coker. The Vogues are a nice tire but they were dealer installed. I have them on my 80 Eldo and love them but on the 76 I think the straight wider whites look the best.

Brian.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

Yep you are finding what the rest of us are finding.  You found the 2 'classic' vendors and Vouge where ever they fit.   The Hankook Optimo still seems to be current and is a fairly narrow stripe but is the least expensive out fo the options.  Does not ever seem to be in stock at stores but must be stocked in regional warehouses because they can usually get them in a couple days.    If you are in or can get to a more rural area you could check a smaller parts store or repair shop.  They will often have a store brand made by Kelly or Cooper and I believe they still have a whitewall option.   Mastercraft is a name you see a lot but you basically have to ask because those sorts of places don't usually have great websites.    Price and whitewall width about the same as the Hankook.    A 225 also works fine on these cars and sometimes can be easier to find than 235's.   235 can be fairly close clearance wise sometimes too. 

I don't remember if we have talked about it in your threads but other things you need to be prepared to deal with are the unique to these cars valve stems.  They are metal but have a rubber gasket that goes bad.   There is a fairly recent thread with some part numbers.  Once installed on the car check close to make sure they are clearing the brake calipers.   It will be very close when all is correct.   If they do rub some gentle tapping with a rubber mallet or block of wood should be able to tweak them enough to clear.   The other thing is the special CAX wheel weights.   The CAX weights have an extension on them to leave a gap for the hubcap to fit since it grips the very edge of the wheel.   THey are getting hard to find and almost no shop seems to have them anymore.   The other option that should work is the stick on weights most shops use on modern aluminum wheels. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Rich S

I am in agreement with Brian's comments relative to appearance. The factory 1.6 inch white sidewall looks great. I also like the appearance of the Vogue tyres with the "prismatic sidewall and yellow stripe."

I have owned several sets of Vogue tyres on various Cadillacs (model years '81, '84, '85, '89, '94, '01, '03) and I have found them to give the noticeably quietest ride of any tire--I believe it is due to the softer rubber and the aramid belts in their design. They have performed well and lasted great. I do like their appearance on the '76 Eldorados with the factory correct black center hubcaps--it' quite distinctive and sophisticated!

For my '71 Eldorado Convertible, through the years, I had the Broadway Classic white sidewalls (and I think Good Year makes those)--a white sidewall that is slightly narrower than the factory appearance (and I could easily detect this.) Then I had two sets of Coker factory correct appearing tires--but both of them developed sidewall bubbles after about 1,000 miles of use--bulging obviously and originally picked-up by my mechanic. Coker was very good about replacing them, provided I returned the four tires. This was a nuisance for me since I am not capable of doing much on my car myself--therefore, after two attempts, I requested a refund which was provided and deducted for the mileage on them. Then I got Diamondback Classics with the correct whitewall (factory appearance) and they look great and ride great. Good luck with your selection!
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Regarding the Hankook Optima, I bought a set for my '75 a while back. They look good, they sound okay, they ride okay in dry weather, but they seem to have a flaw.  In  weather where the road is wet they seem to have a mind of their own. Not a panic stop, but a rapid one caused the car to take off sideways. The first time it happened, and in dry weather even a panic stop causes no problems, I just thought it was a combination of the road, etc., but I can do it on command any time the road is wet.  I talked to a few others with these tires and they admitted to the same findings.  Now this is not a condemnation of the tires, just a word of caution for those who may want to use them as I still do.  When it is wet, I drive my '76 with (black wall) Michelins.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Scot Minesinger

The Hankook tires are on my 1970 SDV and I hate them (they came mounted on the car when I bought it, so it may not be all their fault, because history is not known).  The 1970 SDV has recently had all suspension components replaced, including but not limited to the four ball joints all bushings and all springs.  They are extremely noisy compared to my Diamondback tires.  The noise is the main complaint, an audible tachometer if you like that sort of thing, which I do not.  My new Diamond back tires arrived recently and I will change out the Hancock tires with less than 5k miles on them.

I have never heard anything negative about the Diamondbacks or Vogues in terms of performance.  Have read negativity on the Cookers.  I would buy Diamondback for authentic look and Vogue for price.  The tires are much more important for a vibration free ride on a FWD Cadillac Eldorado than the on RWD Cadillacs.  Also, get a road force balance - insist on it.

I am thrilled with my Diamondback tires - look great drive so smooth and silent with great handling/stopping.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

LenInLA

I can't seem to locate Diamondbacks with less than 2.75' whitewall. Would that look good or should I stick with the narrower 1.6'?

Also it appears that 235/75 work as well as factory 235/70. What's your opinion?

Thanks!

Scot Minesinger

Diamondback will make a custom white wall if you want, plus they may have other options, I would call them.

On the 235/70 vs 235/75 I interchange them without noticing any difference whatsoever, usually buying whichever is less cost.  My 1995 Cadillac RWD FWB had 235/70 new and all replacements for 200k miles thereafter were 235/75 - no issues drove great.  I think this equates to 11.75 mm taller side wall on the 75, or about 7/16", nearly imperceptible on a 175 mm side wall (7inches).
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

35-709

Right, Diamondback will put any width WW you want on just about  any brand tire you want.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have put Maxxis MA-1 P235x75R15 on my '72 Eldo which was all that is available down here.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

66 Eldo

My 78 Bentley asks for 235-70-15 but no ww available so am running Kumhos in 235-75-15 but they no longer make a ww. They look a little too tall in the rear wheelwells so depending on the car and wheelwell openings, moving to a different size may be an issue visually.

I have the Hankooks on my 63 Avanti and like them overall and they are a fair price. No issues in regard to driving or noise but the Avanti is not an equal comparison to a Cadillac because it is much smaller.

I have Cooper Lifeliner ww on my 66 Eldo and like them. Smooth and quiet. No issues in panic stops and I drive the Southern CA freeways. Double check, but I think the Mastercraft brand is made by Cooper. Its a few bucks cheaper than the Lifeliners and has a different tread design.   

TJ Hopland

You are likely right about Mastercraft being made my Cooper.  I think Cooper is just behind Goodyear for overall size these days.   I think tires sold under the Cooper name is a fairly small part of their sales.   At one point I think they made most of the store brands. 

Kelly must be the one that is owned by Goodyear now?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason