News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Need suggestions on a 1950 Convertible

Started by Farmall, January 05, 2016, 11:37:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmall

First post here.
I am picking up a 1950 Cadlillac Convertible from my father in law (single owner) in Florida next month.
We are going to sell it.
What would be the best investment for return?
It was painted thirty years ago, not due to rust, just cosmetic. It has a new top and new leather from 25+ years ago.
It has been in a garage in Florida for 32 years and the chrome is pretty much shot due to the humidity.
Frame is solid as is the body.
Gas tank was cleaned and sealed 25 years ago.
I am going to put a Pertronix ignition in to replace the points along with plugs, wires and fluid changes. It needs an exhaust and it will be driveable.
I looked up some of the chrome and insignia prices and I doubt I'd get my money back.
Cosmetically, I was going to clean the underside and under the hood, condition the leather and replace the carpets.
In the pictures that was the first time it has run in over 20 years. Started right up on fresh gas from a stand alone can and filing the points.
Does that sound like a reasonable level of work for a good sale?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Dan LeBlanc

Running and driving, roadworthy, given cosmetic issues for the chrome ($$$$$), you're likely going to top out in the $20-24k range stretching to $25k for someone who has to absolutely have this car.  It's still a buyer's market at the moment.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

M. Bankes

Your best bet, in my opinion, would be to sell it just as it sits and to not touch it. There's not much that will add a significant value to it unless you restore the car, and there is a chance that anything you do would detract from it from a real serious collector's point of view. Make sure it runs and stops so it can be shipped, and otherwise leave it alone,
Mike Bankes

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I agree on leaving it alone. Most collectors DO NOT want anyone messing around with the car that they intend to purchase. With the best of intentions and workmanship, anything you do will probably be done over.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Jon S

Totally agree with the last two posters.  . . . and why would you want to replace the original points/condenser setup with a Pertronix???  I would leave it alone!

If I spent any money, I would replace those wire wheel hub caps with 1950 hub caps.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Caddy Wizard

Unless you are an expert on these cars, I'd suggest leaving it as is for the sale.  Don't do anything except cleaning.  Could pay a guy to professionally detail the car -- that would be the best thing.  Other than that, nothing.

Be sure to let folks on this board know when you are ready to sell.  You might find a buyer here...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)