News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Oliver H Bair Funeral home ( Philadelphia ) Fleet of Hearses

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, January 06, 2016, 07:36:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
   Thought some of you Hearse guys out there would like these Picture of Oliver H. Bair Funeral Home  Philadelphia back in 1964 . This guy dealt in volume back in the Day .
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Chris Conklin

You aren't kidding about volume! The size of the buildings and operation is huge. High mortality rate in Philly in '64?
Chris Conklin

Walter Youshock

That was a different era of Funeral Service.  That's just the hearses.  Imagine the series 75s, flower cars and sedans they must have had.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

g27g28

Looks like 3 hearses, 3 limos and the last looks like just a sedan, still a large fleet but not 7 hearses.
1941 Series 62
1954 Coupe DeVille
1978 Phaeton
1980 Fleetwood

Bill Balkie 24172

The picture in front of the funeral  home looks like 7 hearses . The photo shown in the back of Gimbles service building   shows 4 limos  with 3 hearses . Gimbles was a big Department store down the street

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I remember the name. He did a huge business. I can't help but notice they were all 1964 models. I wonder if he had older ones also.

Art Director

Middle picture was manipulated via the method of the day, since Photoshop didn't come out till many years later. Note the lack of shadows under the cars. All cars, drivers and men are in the exact same position as the bottom photo. Great photos!

Even though I grew up in Colorado, I recall the Gimbels Thanksgiving Day Parade being on TV. Back then you had Macy's in New York, Gimbels in Philadelphia and J.L. Hudson in Detroit battling on the three networks with their parades.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

Walter Youshock

As for having older cars, probably not unless they were used as first-call cars.  Generally no firm of that size would have an unmatched fleet, plus trade value had to be considered.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

jaxops

My Father remembers this company, more like a corporation.  Quite an operation.  I never got to see that funeral home, although we visited and did business with many of them in the Philadelphia area. 
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Alan Harris CLC#1513

Art Director is right about the photos being manipulated. Bair's building is still there. It is now Boyd's, a high end clothing store. The sidewalk in front of the building is nowhere near wide enough that those cars could be parked there and not hang over onto the street.