News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1955 Sedan deVille valuation

Started by Brad Hemingson CLC #18437, January 06, 2016, 11:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Hemingson CLC #18437

I'm looking at a 1955 Sedan this weekend. I'm being asked to name a price. Non-runner decent body. I'm wondering what is the ballpark of a fair offer? The fellow inherited it and I want to be reasonable. Any time I buy a non-runner I assume rebuild, if it starts I win. I will have interior and engine pics Monday.

Richardonly

NADA values the car at 8700.00, BUT that would be running and in poor condition.

Here is the link if you want to see it.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1955/Cadillac/62/4-Door-Sedan/Values

Good luck, Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Just to clarify, the car is a 1955 Series 62 Sedan.

The Sedan deVille (hardtop 4 door) did not appear until the following year, 1956.

Thanks.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Jon S

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on January 06, 2016, 01:38:04 PM
Just to clarify, the car is a 1955 Series 62 Sedan.

The Sedan deVille (hardtop 4 door) did not appear until the following year, 1956.

Thanks.

Eric -

You beat me to it!
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

patton6606@gmail.com

Hello Brad

Glad to read you are interested in acquiring another Cadillac.  I would suggest that you borrow a CLC member in your region that ows or has experience with this model or vintage.  From the pictures and given it is a nonrunner I would politely start at $1500.

Brad Hemingson CLC #18437

Thanks to all those that caught my mistake on not labeling it a Series 62. The fellow selling it keeps calling it a deVille so I wrongly did the same.

wearymicrobe

Quote from: patton6606email addresses not permitted on January 06, 2016, 02:18:12 PM

Hello Brad

Glad to read you are interested in acquiring another Cadillac.  I would suggest that you borrow a CLC member in your region that ows or has experience with this model or vintage.  From the pictures and given it is a nonrunner I would politely start at $1500.

I would be 1500-2500 as well. It a 4 door so I would be after the chrome, interior bits hubcaps ans drive-train not the actual car. 2 door different story, running different story as well.

savemy67

Hello Brad,

From the photos, I see that some trim is missing on the right front fender.  Do you know if the car was repainted?  It looks to be in its original livery.

I echo CR Patton's advice to find a CLC member who is familiar with '55 Cadillacs.  If the seller mistakenly identified the car as a Sedan DeVille, either the seller is not familiar with the particulars of this car, or the seller is dumb like a fox.  Either way, it behooves you to arm your self with as much information as possible - learn how to read the body tag, get production numbers for this year and model, find out what systems the car uses (e.g. vacuum or electric wipers) - so that you can educate the seller (if the seller genuinely does not know much about the car) and or you can negotiate from a position of strength (if the seller thinks you are a rube).  Also, review the internet sites, looking specifically for '55 sedans to get an idea of listing prices (the seller has probably done this).

When you look at the car, if you have the time, examine it closely.  Bring a blanket and a flashlight to get a good look at the underside of the car.  I have seen may cars that look great above the rockers, but needed major work on the frame and suspension.  Ask lots of questions about the history of the car.  And don't make an offer on your first visit, unless this is the car you must have, and there are people waiting in line.

The car is my birth-year car, so I may get one myself one day.  It looks nice.  Good luck.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop