News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Stereo for 1976 Eldo convert

Started by 29679, January 06, 2016, 11:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am wanting to replace the stereo head unit and speakers in my 76 Eldo convertible.  I am not interested in authenticity as I plan to use my car for pleasure not show.  I do not, however, want to cut into the dash.  as far as i can tell there seem to be 2 main sources, Retrosound and Custom Auto Sound.  I am curious if anyone has replaced their system in a convertible Eldo, what components were used and how satisfied you were with the results.  I have been searching for reviews on the web and it seems most are satisfied with the Retrosound units (especially the newer models such as the Hermosa) and disappointed with the Custom Auto Sound units.  Also I am concerned about which speakers to use that will fit the top of the dash (3/12" rounds) and the rear speakers which I believe are 6x9s.  I have heard that both front and rear locations have some speaker height limitations.  Thank for any feedback you can provide!

Bobby B

Steve,
Hi. My personal opinion after using both brands on different occasions in mostly convertibles…..You won't be happy with the factory built-in amp. Use the RCA outputs to feed a remote amplifier, crossover, EQ, etc. of good quality. Without getting too technical, the specs are not that great. They are what they are. If you're into quality sound and/or any type of volume over road/wind noise in the convertible, you won't be satisfied with the stock deck specs. Maybe better off leaving your existing unit in and mounting a decent head unit (power wise) in the glove box if you don't want to spend a lot of extra money on amps and other accessories like crossovers, EQ's , etc. You can pick up a decent head unit with all the bells and whistles in the $100-150 dollar range that will do the trick.
                                                                                                                   Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Dan LeBlanc

I used a Retrosound unit in a 63 Impala I had.  It was ok, but, like Bobby said, lacked power.  I used a pair of kick panels with pre-mounted speakers that fit in place of the originals.  The kick panels were black plastic and had vent holes that still allowed me to use the vents.  Mind you this was a sedan, so I didn't need a lot of output, but with the windows down, I would've liked a little more oomph.  Adding an amp with one of these is definitely the way to go.

If you have room in the glovebox, that would definitely be a better quality setup.

What I did with the 61 Fleetwood, however, was I mounted a Jensen head unit in the glovebox connected to a RediRad.  This plays through the original radio in the dash.  The Jensen gave me the FM radio I didn't have in the 61 plus the ability to plug in my phone and play MP3's.  It sounds good, and is removable in about 10 minutes.  For sound, you can't beat the old Delco radios with their tubes/transistors (1961 was somewhat of a hybrid unit).
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Scot Minesinger

I took the stock 1970 Radio out of my Cadillac and sent it to Electro tech in MN.  They rebuilt it to modern standards and paired it with replacement speakers (that they sold me) and it sounds great.  It even is MP3 compatible.  I drive mine a lot too, and so you do need a nice radio.  The existing radio is now a modern radio (like a 2010 Suburban) and it fits of course right in the dash and no one can possibly tell that it is not stock.  Wait time was about 8 weeks. 

My musical abilities are terrible and not musically inclined.  However do enjoy listening to it.  One of my friends referred me to this service.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

76eldo

On a 76 Eldo convertible there is no extra space to use any speakers that will extend into the boot opening.  Make sure that you slowly lower the top and look at the clearance between the speaker grilles and the back window as the top lowers.

After replacing a set of speakers on a 76, I lowered the top and the back window exploded.  If you have ever heard that sickening sound you would not want to hear it again.

Whatever you do, just make sure that the speaker grilles are flush with the metal panel that they are bolted to and that the grilles are pulled down tight.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

I have not dealt with a recent Custom unit.  The ones I had dealt with I was not at all impressed with.  I didn't think they sounded very good and they did not seem to fit that well if they didn't list it for your specific car.   I also thought the controls were not very well thought out or logical, some functions has several steps to access.   Maybe they have improved?  Their prices seemed to have gone up too so I barely considered them when I did my last project.   Our 66 mustang came with one when we got it so I don't know its history, perhaps it was really abused.  That unit had several segments of the display out or flickering and the knobs were constantly falling off.   It did have the pretty pony on it. 

This summer was my first experience with Retrosound and I was happy with the results.   I didn't go with their latest fancy model, I got the more basic one that just had the aux inputs so I didn't have to spend a ton, all I was really after was AM/FM that would not look totally out of place for minimal cost and no irreversible changes to the car.    As most of us are used to no listing for my model so I had to go measure my dash opening then click on the details for each bezel they offered to find the closest fit.   Then you scroll through all the knobs and find a set that looks decent.   They come with a few vintage AM radio 'screen protectors' you apply over the display but they also have official licensed logo ones for popular applications.   The car I was working on had a single front speaker so I bought one of their dual coil replacements.  Overall I was very happy with the results.

I did look into the conversions of the original or a glove box mounting too.   The glove box mount I really didn't like because of access.    Many do have remote controls these days but I just like to have an actual knob within easy reach, I don't like having to hit a +- button to change the volume.   I would also have to fabricate a mount and figure out how to brace up the glove box liner which was the cardboard in this case.   The conversions were interesting but I thought a little expensive plus the turn around time.  I was also unsure about how easy they would be to use since many of them didn't have any sort of display, just a multi color light.   Also thought if I ever did want to go back to original for some reason it would be much more difficult unless I had another complete radio.   With the retrosound I was up and running in a few days and if I ever want to do anything with the original its on the shelf waiting. 

As for going with amps and such in a 71-76 Eldo convert I don't think they would help much.   With the top up the rear speakers are basically shooting into the trunk so you are not looking at the best sound there and top down they are shooting at the folded top so really not good sound there plus then nothing to get any of it to the front seat.   Even with some power behind them I don't think you would get 'good' sound out of them.   I also wonder if you can get shallow enough speakers to fit that will also take a lot of power.    The shallow speakers tend to be more like the OE's that don't need a lot of power to be loud,  you won't be getting that thumping bass or crisp highs but with their position I don't think you would hear that even if the speakers would do it.     With the top down your best chance of hearing anything is the dash speakers and they are on the very small side and again have a depth limitation so I suspect you are in the same boat as the rear a modest closer to stock speaker will likely give you the most level.     If you were going to be cutting kick panel or door speakers in then you would have more choices in speakers and better positioning so you could then likely benefit from amps and such.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Thank you all for your replies!  I failed to mention that my original 1976 stereo is completely dead.  The speakers are original so I am quite sure they are worthless at this point.  I have owned the car since 1985 and I used to play the original system back when it was still operational.  Good old 1976 technology!  Two in-dash 3 1/2" speakers and 2 rear ovals buried in the top well.  I don't think it's going to take much performance to beat it.  Thanks for the tip on speaker fitment versus the top.  The car is currently in the shop getting serviced and my tech wants me to be responsible for ordering the components for the stereo.  I'm just not super comfortable with cutting into the doors or other mods to obtain better speaker placement and performance. 

Scot Minesinger

Steve,

The existing speaker sizes and locations should be fine for general music listening.  If you are a person who must listen to the finest quality music at a high level a convertible is not a good start and maybe you need to go further.  I would replace all four speakers with equal size, and get the original radio rebuilt to modern standards.

A word of caution on audio places - I repair climate controls for friends (probably done 20 cars in last 5 years), and seen some work by shops that do audio work on classic cars.  It looks like they lower the top and use a back hoe to remove the dash - broken tabs, cracked dashes, cut vacuum lines, cut wires, screws thru wires and etc.  If this is a trusted mechanic that may bill you 3 hours to remove one bolt because that is what it took and you pay, then the guy is probably OK.  Choose the person who works on this aspect of your car carefully.  My experience is such that I just do this work myself now so that when I get the car back six other things are not broken.

Most people who buy a classic car favor an unmolested original, so cut panels (especially door) really limit your options if you ever want to sell.  When I see a car with speakers cut into the door, 15% is cut right off the price of an otherwise unmolested car.

TJ Hopland

Good point about the dash, it is a bit of a project in these things. Its a pretty big awkward piece and at this age is bound to be brittle so you do need be careful who does the job.   

There is an electrical pigtail harness available for this vintage GM so you don't have to worry about cutting factory wires for power and then in most cases it just easier to run new speaker wires so you can leave the factory stuff alone.  The kits do come with the speaker wires for the radio end but nothing for the speaker ends. 

When someone is tinkering around the back seat it would be a good time to look after the top motor and cables.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I always felt one of the very best sounding OEM Cadillac radio systems is the Symphony Sound System used from 1983 - 1985.

I've upgraded a few '70s Cadillac with this radio and they worked great. Helps keep the car looking stock.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: 29679 on January 07, 2016, 01:52:36 PM
Thank you all for your replies!  I failed to mention that my original 1976 stereo is completely dead.  The speakers are original so I am quite sure they are worthless at this point.  I have owned the car since 1985 and I used to play the original system back when it was still operational.  Good old 1976 technology!  Two in-dash 3 1/2" speakers and 2 rear ovals buried in the top well.  I don't think it's going to take much performance to beat it.  Thanks for the tip on speaker fitment versus the top.  The car is currently in the shop getting serviced and my tech wants me to be responsible for ordering the components for the stereo.  I'm just not super comfortable with cutting into the doors or other mods to obtain better speaker placement and performance.

You should just ship the radio out to United Radio in E Syracuse NY.

Their workmanship is first rate and repair time is lightning-speed. They'll completely align the tuner and whatever else needed and it will perform like new when they're done with it.

I've used UR for 25 years and recommend them unconditionally and without reserve.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

76eldo

I would not make any holes in the panels.  I completely understand wanting to have a great sounding system in the car but think really hard before cutting anything.

You could also have a custom console made for the front floor and put a new sound system in that, have a sub in the trunk and use the factory speaker locations and add two more in the console.

That's all removable and leaves the dash intact.

Another way to go is a blue tooth speaker system that only requires power.  Like a boombox on the back seat that you control from your phone.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Scot Minesinger

there really is no need to cut anything, the upside gain of to most imperceptibly improved sound to the downside of compromising your car are not worth it.