News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1937 6o series heater motor

Started by Steve Rinaldo, January 10, 2016, 10:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Rinaldo

I am still trying to get the heater motor in my 1937/60 to work correctly. The heater has been fully disassembled and I made an odd discovery. The motor has a regular style fan facing the core and a squirrel cage fan on the rear for the defrost. There also is a flipper door to control the defrost air. This leads me to believe that motor does not reverse as many thought earlier , but it still turns in the wrong direction. no matter how its wired. The motor is now at the best electronic shop in the area.
1. Any one offer any suggestions that I can pass on to the shop to reverse direction.
2. Does anyone have a motor like this that they would be willing to sell.
Thanks, Steve

Steve Passmore

My experience with reversible motors is they have more than two wires Steve. Could it be that some wires have broken off? I ask because I have just re-wired two reversible heater motors right into the brushes and field coil as the insulation was shot. They have 4 wires including the ground. They do not work at all unless they are wired up as per the diagram and through the special switch no matter how you switch wires or what other switch you try to use.
Your description of the fans is identical to my 41 heaters. It could be of coarse that a single direction motor has been fitted that turns the wrong way. I have never heard of a way of being able to reverse the rotation of a motor. Did they tell you if its possible at this super shop you have left it in?
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Steve Rinaldo

I should know this week what they find. Steve

Glen

In order to reverse the direction of a non-permanent magnet motor you have to reverse the polarity of either the armature or the stator.       If you only have two wires coming out of the motor, then you have to open the motor up and change the wires inside the motor. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

DaveZ

how did you make out? The heater switch is what reverses the polarity on the DC motor. The motor will spin two different directions depending on which way you turn the switch. I am trying to fix my switch. The resistor coil on one side of the feed is broke. Is is 1.8 amps, but I don't know the power; watts. I want to replace with a resistor and be done with it:-)

Regards,
dave
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B