News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

matching numbers on a '74 ELDO convt

Started by Viator Trudeau, January 11, 2016, 02:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viator Trudeau

Hello all,  where are the matching numbers on a '74 ELDO convt.

chrisntam

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

The Tassie Devil(le)

Engine, Transmission, Body, Chassis, Radio, and anywhere else that has a serial number that can be cross-referenced with the build sheet.

Everything that went into building the car should be able to be identified in some way or another as it received parts as it went down the assembly line.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

76eldo

The shop manual shows where to find the engine number, Trans number, and others.  It's nice if the engine matches the VIN but I have purchased and sold dozens of 70's Caddys over the years. I never checked the engine numbers and neither did the buyers.  You can generally tell that the engines are correct and original just by looking the car over.  It's just not a big issue with Caddys.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

Isn't there a big chunk of records that are missing from this period?

The engine number on this era must have been done with very worn stamps or a tiny hammer because they don't tend to be very clear.  I have never encountered one that could be read in the car.  I have only seen a few that could be read even cleaned and out of the car.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Dan LeBlanc

Numbers matching is more from the muscle car craze where, at a judging level, to separate the pepper from the fly crap, they'll pull the boots off the spark plugs to ensure they are correct with the proper colour of rings, markings, etc.  There are just that many of those cars that they need to get into that to separate winners from losers.

Like Brian said, in the Cadillac world, numbers matching isn't a big deal.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Viator Trudeau

Hello again:   My '74 ELDO convt. has no cowl plate, ??? do not a car off of an add from  Craigs List ???        .  I am going to contact some one who says he has correct plates,as per" The Self
Starter".  Are there any other vendors who provide plates??

Thanks.  V.Trudeau

76eldo

The cowl plate tells you the body number, colors of top, paint and interior, and accessories.

A blank plate would not do you any good, and without the data in the first place you couldn't stamp one even if you had a blank.  Plus, the numbers are raised, not stamped.

Any idea who removed and why?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

The Tassie Devil(le)

I believe the only way to get the correct information for placing on a plate would be to get the Build Sheet, and any other information that is available from Allied Vaughn.

This information should give you build date, colour of paint and top, upholstery, and all factory-fitted accessories.

You will need the Body Number from the bottom of the dash/windscreen, for basic identification, and this should be sufficient.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon