News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Parts Number Help Please? Oil Filter Assy.

Started by Joe G 12138, January 11, 2016, 11:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe G 12138

I could use some help nailing down the correct application on an AC oil filter kit. It's number is 5572289.  The oldest Master Parts book I have is 1953 and in the parts history it says 5572289 was "removed" effective 5-1-1952.  The same MPB lists 5571985 for the '41-'48 flatheads, and 557-2952 for the '49-53 OHV's.  This number is somewhere in the middle numerically.  Could somebody please check a 1949 to 1952 Master parts book (Group 8.2952) to see what this "removed" number is for? I'll try to attach a picture or 2.  Thanks in advance...Joe Gibeault

Jay Friedman

My 1955 Master Parts List has the same info as your parts book.  The oil filter assembly in your photos looks exactly like the one on my '49 and according to my MPL was used until 1953. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Glen

This is what my MPB says. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Joe G 12138

Jay: I thought it looked '49 or so because of the cutout semi-circle near the bolt holes. The cutout being there to clear the water pump casting when bolted on.

Glen: Thanks for taking the time to look this up! Was this the 1950 MPB or '51?  The listing you provided states "Type SK-6P". Here's a picture of the lid with "Type S-6P" on it.  No "K" but must be the same thing. 

I'm guessing that there is a very slight difference in the parts, hence the superceded number. Maybe something to do with the introduction of power steering and moving the filter to the other side of the motor? When I mounted a '53 unit on my '50 awhile back, I had to use a couple of spacers when put on the drivers side to keep it from touching the rocker cover. I bet they changed the offset a tad for the new location.

Glen

Quote from: Joe G 12138 on January 12, 2016, 06:22:10 PM
Glen: Thanks for taking the time to look this up! Was this the 1950 MPB or '51?  The listing you provided states "Type SK-6P". Here's a picture of the lid with "Type S-6P" on it.  No "K" but must be the same thing. 

It says Part List Effective May 1 1950   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Joe G 12138

Jeff Maltby 4194

Where did you score this Nos filter Joe ? When I purchased my proclaimed 10,000 mile oem 49 FB in 87, everything under the hood was oem, including the filter lid decal which was an S-6 with the white area to write the mileage on.

This is the only decal I could find for mine after repainting the filter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221982414215?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Jay Friedman

Jeffo,

So, if I understand correctly, neither the decal on Joe G's filter cover nor the repro decal available today is correct for a '49 oil filter.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Jeff Maltby 4194

Per my oem 196 page master parts list published Dec 13 1948, it's group 8.2952 part # 559-2139 SK-6.

If Joe has the mount instructions with his nos filter, it might shed some light on the subject ?

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/engines/oil%20filters/#49

A note about "S-6" Series filters:
When first introduced, the S-6 line was a universal filter that covered a wide variety of applications, including non-GM vehicles. They could be put on virtually any vehicle as long as the corresponding bracket and mounting kit was purchased. Starting with the 646 series, the three digit AC part number suffix made a loose reference  to the type and year the filter was first introduced. But you must keep in mind that a new series was not introduced every year. So some filters carried over for more than one selling season. The prefix (SC) also helped denote model and type.

Type SC-650 was an "S" line filter. The "C" denoted it was a tailored kit packaged specifically for Chevrolet applications. (Kits tailor made for Cadillac used a "K"; "P" for Dodge, Chrysler and Plymouth applications; "M" for Oldsmobile; "F" for Ford; "N" for Nash). The "6" denoted the line type. The "50" established what model year it was first put into service. So, SC-650 was an S-6 type, tailor made for Chevrolet, and first introduced in 1950. This same referencing applied to other types as well, such as the S-2 line.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500