News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1969 Deville Rear/Trailing Control Arm Bushings

Started by hhumph1006, January 13, 2016, 11:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hhumph1006

Hello Again.  New rear springs and shocks went in fine.  The bushings Kanter sent look all wrong.

Manual says the upper rubber is different from the lower rubber, even though the holes have the same diameter.

I can find lots of lower bushings (ACDelco Pro 45G11006).

Any suggestions on the upper bushings? 
Hugh Campbell

1969 Coupe de Ville

Chuck Swanson

I ordered mine from http://oldpartssource.com/ on eBay for my 66 last year.  I haven't installed yet.  I asked same question on different rubber per shop manual, but they never answered my question.  They were all the same in box.  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Scot Minesinger

The 1969 and 1970 rear suspension bushings are same and I have done this job on all three of my 1970 Cadillacs.  The manual states that the bushing rubber is different, but parts are all the same and they work.  If the bushing physically fits then it should work.  All 8 are the same. 

Methods that worked best for me:

1.  Only replace one set of bushings at a time.  Both springs and shocks are installed while replacing each arm.
2.  Replace the springs using a set of spring compressors, do not bother with the instructions in shop manual (this is one of the few times I deviate from shop manual).  Remove shock first and support bottom of axle so it cannot overstretch rubber brake line.  That makes compressing spring work easier.  All four control arms are installed when replacing springs.
3.  You will have to remove back seat and drill the body with hole saw to remove upper bushing bolts on control arm.
4.  Pressing the old bushings out of the control arms is difficult without destroying the arm, be careful to support it real well.

This will improve the way your Cadillac rides and drives.

Enjoy your Cadillac!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty