News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1970 Cadillac SDV or other classic as nice weather daily driver

Started by Scot Minesinger, January 15, 2016, 09:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

Here is the question: 

Does anyone drive an older classic (say 1976 or older) as their daily driver during nice weather? 

This would mean an occasional rain is OK, but no salt/snow driving.  I have to travel to NH 6 times a year and weather permitting this would be the car I take.  Plus of course local trips.  I work at home but have client and site meetings.

Here is the preamble that is written after question:

Before my teenagers started driving my wife and I each enjoyed a nice late model car to drive plus a pickup truck as the third emergency vehicle along with of course my classic nice weather only Cadillacs.  Planned on our nice cars being old when the kids started driving and when the leave the nest in a few years we will be back to the three vehicle deal.

I was planning on buying a used CT6 back before it was announced it would be V-6 powered.  Don't try and confuse me with facts, I'm not driving a V-6.  Now I'm driving my 1970 Cadillac SDV frequently and really enjoying it.  It has the advantage over the convertible that it is easier to talk on phone and better to drive when weather is clear but cold.  This car is not valuable, but I like the look of it and the way it drives.

I'm thinking that in a few years instead of buying a newer car, just pressing the 1970 Cadillac SDV into service as my daily nice weather transportation (10k miles per year). 

I'm in the last quarter of a demanding career, and probably will always be working part time during retirement, doing what I want to do when I want to do it.

Thoughts shared experiences?

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Frankly, I'd never want to be at the mercy of vintage cars for necessary/essential/emergency transportation. Especially not for long distance trips.

Modern is just more practical for the rigors of all around workaday driving. Running, repair and maintenance costs will be significantly lower with reliability that is much higher. This is all the more true if you need air conditioning in the summer, which is practically assured in a elderly automobile air conditioning system.

Finally comes the increased difficulty & expense in finding vintage parts when any one of the old Cadillac's myriad of accessories develops a problem. It's one thing to drive a basic stripped down old pick up for daily transportation, an old Cadillac is something altogether different.

For comfort, reliability with decent fuel mileage, I'd just pick up a minty "Crown Victrola/Granny Marquis" with low mileage on the cheap (they usually are) for daily driving and spare the Cadillacs for old car enjoyment.

One man's opinion. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Scott,
As long as the cars are in top shape and as long as all the required maintenance such as tune ups, hose and belt changes, oil and filter changes and thorough inspections at regular intervals there is absolutely no reason these cars cannot be just as dependable as they were when new(er).
That said, I bought my '66 in California before we moved to Texas, and it was my daily driver here in San Antonio taking several extended trips for just about 20 years.  When I bought it I had to go through EVERYTHING, so I knew the condition and functioning of all systems.  I carried about 100 pounds of spare parts in the trunk for the first 5 years, and never needed anything. Only "breakdown" was due to a dead (shorted cells) battery.
My wife drives a 76 Coupe deVille which we bought here in San Antonio, and again, I went through the same process.  We can and do use it for daily transportation and extended road trips without concern. For road trips I do carry a tool box and a few parts, but the only thing we have needed were some wiper blades we got at a Napa store in Biloxi, Miss. again maintenance is religiously done as per recommendations.
My '66 went "over the pond" a couple of years ago and the current owner says he finds it still dependable.
As a replacement for MY daily driver, my wife "found" a 1975 Coupe de Elegance with 60K on it while she was walking in the neighborhood, and after replacing the radiator, hoses, belts, tires and believe it or not just adding refrigerant to the AC system, that is my daily driver and again, without hesitation it can and does serve as transportation on trips.
The hands on maintenance tasks give me a chance to enjoy my cars and use them as they were intended.  They are not show cars, they are not prized possessions although they probably cost and continue to cost as much as a 700 series Beemer to use.
That's my experience.  IMHO, we go to the car shows every year and so far have not seen anything that we would find more comfortable and safe to drive.  If I want something faster I have my 12 second 1973 coupe de ville.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

wrefakis

70/69 are my favorites after 59, but as an everyday car? Like Eric I drive an 05 town car that at 279000 miles has never had a tune up(5 of 8 coils still original) and runs and drives like a new car.
I have an 06 stored as a back just in case, but it never moves
not really sure other than a convert in good weather why anyone would drive a car that does not even run right on modern fuel and has no safety features?

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: wrefakis on January 15, 2016, 11:27:52 AM
70/69 are my favorites after 59, but as an everyday car? Like Eric I drive an 05 town car that at 279000 miles has never had a tune up(5 of 8 coils still original) and runs and drives like a new car.
I have an 06 stored as a back just in case, but it never moves
not really sure other than a convert in good weather why anyone would drive a car that does not even run right on modern fuel and has no safety features?

Ahhhhh.  The Town Car.  Now you're speaking my language.  I can't wait to get back into one after the wheels fall off my deVille!
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

wrefakis

I took in a 2010 today with 496,000 miles original engine, back in the day you could get miles out of the Cadillac 472 trouble was fuel after 1973 was low octane

jock82

I drive a 1976 Oldsmobile 98 on a regular basis, it is not show car, it runs great and has a good air conditioner, I have had this car for 40 years.  I don't really car how old a car is as long as it is reliable and looks good.  I still wish I had my  1970 Coupe de Ville,  I would still be driving it.

Guy Moore
CLC #12650
1989 Sedan de Ville
1994 Concours
2009 DTS'
1976 Olds 98 Regency

Guy Moore CLC# 12650

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: wrefakis on January 15, 2016, 02:33:07 PM
I took in a 2010 today with 496,000 miles original engine, back in the day you could get miles out of the Cadillac 472 trouble was fuel after 1973 was low octane

Show me a Northstar equipped deVille that can do that!!!!

I'm sure crickets will be chirping for quite some time as we await a response.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Chas

Drive my 1970 CDV to my business two or three times per week. One way trip is 27 miles. Don't use it in the winter when it can get sloppy on a moments notice here in NJ. My every day driver would then be a 2006 Lincoln Town Car. Has 180k miles. Only thing I ever had to do to it (outside of maintenance, pads, tires, etc) was an alternator. My 94 year old Aunt just passed and left me her 1999 CDV........with 14k miles! Think I'm gonna now put it away and then drag it out once the Town Car dies.
1967 Coupe DeVille
1970 Coupe DeVille
1976 Coupe DeVille
1983 Coupe DeVille
1977 Harley Cafe Racer
1991 Harley Fat Boy
1957 Harley Hardtail
1949 Lusse Bumper Car
If you're 25 years old and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you're 45 years old and not a conservative, you have no money!

57eldoking

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on January 15, 2016, 03:38:42 PM
Show me a Northstar equipped deVille that can do that!!!!

I'm sure crickets will be chirping for quite some time as we await a response.

Chirp chirp....

Our family have had 6 different Northstar Sevilles 1993-2000 models. Never had a mechanical issue with any of them. Best engine I've ever had in a daily driver. I'll continue having one for a daily driver for the unforseeable future.
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #906
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #1020 http://bit.ly/1kTvFlM
1957 Eldorado Seville  #1777 http://bit.ly/1T3Uo1c
1995 Fleetwood Brougham  http://bit.ly/20YwJV4
2010 SRX Performance

1946 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup
1957 Buick Caballero Estate Wagon (x2)
1960 Chevy Apache 10 Stepside
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (x2)
1992 Pontiac Trans Sport GT

David Greenburg

I'm not currently using a vintage car as a dd, but did  so for a number of years in the past, most extensively with a '73 Mercedes 300SEL and a '76 Buick Estate Wagon. In my experience, if you take care of them, they are reliable in the sense that they never left me stranded. But the killer is the cost per mile. The gas mileage and maintenance expenses really take a toll on a daily basis.  The Buick was huge; several inches longer than my '59 60S, and I got rid of it after  I got tired of constantly hunting for parking spaces big enough to accommodate it.  As a dd, you do things and go places you wouldn't in a collectible Cadillac.  But if you're willing to tolerate that and foot the bills, it is viable, at least in decent weather. Driving in bad weather will make you appreciate how much things like defrosters and wipers have improved since the good old days.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

That's right Jeff.  When we go for our dirt nap our "heirs" will look in the garage and see our (what we considered perfect) old car and call the junk man.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Scot Minesinger

Have driven my red 1970 convertible fro ten years and 37k miles after it had been "restored" by others at 90k miles and then improving upon it.  It never left me stranded.  It has given me trouble, but never stopped working.  In Boston GN 2013 the starter would only work about every 3rd try and Greg helped me get to working 3 out of every 4 tries.  Got home and replaced it.  Starters and alternator replacements are terrible quality unless you get them rebuilt locally.

On safety, The 1970 Cadillac has the collapsible steering column (first year was 1967 mandated by Federal Govt), which is probably the most important safety feature you could want on a car.  It is missing anti-lock brakes and air bags, which are installed on most modern cars, but I can live without them.

Maybe this is a question of bravery, I would drive my 1970 Cadillac SDV anywhere over a modern car with Northstar or whatever and over 300k miles.  Not that they are not reliable, that is too much mileage for me.  I sold a perfectly good 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood with 254k miles on it only for the high mileage. 

The cost of gas or maintenance is not material me on this discussion because the higher cost of a newer more modern car will far offset the cost of maintenance on an older car.  If I go this way it will be cause I want to, not for budget reasons.  On getting parts for a 472/500 equipped Cadillac, they are super easy to find and buy.  The trim or other non essential to operation are more difficult to find.

This seems like a reasonable idea because these cars were very reliable in the 1970's, and with proper preparation they should be fine today.  Will keep you posted as it unfolds in 2019.

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Wait, 2019??? The car will be how old then?¿???
Just kidding.
As for safety, I did add 'modern' seatbelts. Went into the shoulder belt mount location and used the same floor mounts. I need to be able to move around a bit.
I also put in a retrosound radio that allows me to hook in whatever I want (mp3, Sirrius, etc). I enjoy the radio so this is would be a must for me on a daily driver....... Or even a weekend one as I am about to do in a few minutes.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

Scot Minesinger

Jeff,

Not a bad idea updating he seat belt.  I never wear the shoulder belt on my SDV, but probably should.  We never wore the shoulder belts until mid 1970's when they became integral to lap belt buckle.  In a 1968 Thunderbird with shoulder belt unworn got into a serious head on with only lap belt.  My nose bent the steering wheel, but did not break.  Would have been better off with shoulder belt, maybe will start wearing it?

The radio I already updated to a modern system with MP-3, new speakers and all.  The original radio was rebuilt to modern methods and you cannot tell it is not original except that the sound quality is so good.

Next step is keyless entrée system and full set of removable gauges.  The sensors are already installed with the wires into the passenger compartment.  After that some needed interior repairs are required.  Then I have to decide to keep original paint or re-paint it.  The advantage of original of course is more appealing at shows where originality is valued and less worry in parking lots.  The pros on new paint is car will look more amazing than it already does and the car will be more appealing at shows to the folks that value appearance over original - I'm one of them.

What seat belt did you use to update yours, was it a new product you buy or from a used car?

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

The original belts are horrible. The buckle is in the middle of your chest and you cant move. No wonder nobody wore them. I was in a wreck in a VW Rabbit of all things. That car had the belts that attached at the door so you had to wear them. Thank goodness or I would not have been wearing one. Have worn a belt ever since.
I forget where I got them so I will look. Only a hundo$$ or so a side. I got the kind with the extender so that the pivot point is lower. I am short and if the pivot point was higher it would cut across my neck. I paid a little more and got the buckles with the GM logo. Only minor modifications needed. As you know the 70's already had the anchor points installed. A little harder to get into the back seat but the dog doesn't mind. No issue of course in your SDV.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I am embarassed about the quality of my interior, so no comments :)
Here are a couple of pictures. You can see what I mean about an extender.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

Scot Minesinger

Jeff,

Very cool, please definitely find the source of those seat belts. 

Forgot to mention the 68 Thunderbird accident with no shoulder belt just lap belt, I was driving 20 mph, full size Chev pick up 50 mph - crash head on.   I had a bloody nose of course, but I unbelted myself opened the door and walked away.  Cleaned myself up and went to work that night.  The truck bumper was higher and my 429 engine took the hit and so from the base of the windshield back no damage.

After that rather than - it would have been good if I had been wearing my shoulder belt was not the lesson myself and my family learned from that.  It was always drive a large heavy car.  I have done that ever since.  The smallest car I have ever owned is a 2006 Dodge Charger w/hemi (4,400 lbs).