News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1960 Hose Clamps

Started by n2caddies, January 16, 2016, 12:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n2caddies

I have searched the topic here but still unsure. Is there a final opinion on the correct style of radiator and heater hose clamps for a 1960? Do they work well on the modern hoses OD or do I need the ribbed style heater hoses and the repro radiator ones like Fusick or McVeys sells? Trying to spruce up the old girl for the Grand Nationals in Las Vegas and the last thing I need is leaks. Thanks
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

David Greenburg

I believe they are the "band" type, and not the "tower" type. Be forewarned that there are band type clamps out there that are pretty flimsy. Have some on my car, but gave up on a couple due to leaks.  We can compare clamps at  the GN.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

n2caddies

Thanks David.  What source did you have the best luck with?
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

76eldo

I bought a set of hoses and clamps from Fusick at Hershey.

The rad hose clamps are tower style.  The heater hoses take the spring clamps that you install with pliers.

They also sell beautiful molded repro rad hoses with the Cadillac part numbers stenciled on.  They have them for AC and non AC cars.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

n2caddies

Hi Brian
Did you use the ribbed heater hoses and do the spring clamps work well?  I've always liked the smooth heater hoses with the molded elbow at the heater core for a nice clean bend to run the hoses on top of the valley pan without any kinks or large radii. Not sure if that's a judging faux pas but it looks sanitary.
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

76eldo

I did not buy heater hose yet.
What is the correct style?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Dan LeBlanc

I know that for 1961 (1960 is probably similar) that the correct heater hose is moulded with bends where the hose comes out of the heater core connections to make the turn to pass under the intake manifold.  I've seen one original set before and it had GM stamped on it every few inches.  I believe they were ribbed but cannot remember 100%.

If you have a source for the correct moulded heater hoses, I'm all ears.

I did find replacements at my local NAPA but the part numbers escape me, however, they are not ribbed but do have the 90 degree bends and of course no stamps.  They were longer, so they had to be trimmed.

I have the tower clamps on the radiator hoses and the Corbin clamps on the heater hoses on the 61.  I've had to snug up the tower clamp on the lower hose at the water pump once, but other than that, they work fine.  The Corbin clamps work very well (I'm not sure why they stopped using them) although I did modify a set of brake pliers to install them.  I tried with vice grips and they liked to twist and pop out.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

quadfins

There is a special tool available for installing Corbin clamps. It looks like pliers, but each tip has an adjustable end with an indentation into which the end of the "spring" clamp rests, thus holding it in place. The set I have also adjusts, so you can access the clamp end straight-on, or at a 90 degree angle. They work very well, and eliminate the frustration of chasing down those clamps, after they continue to pop away from regular pliers.

I bought them some years ago, probably at NAPA, maybe Advance Auto, but I suppose that they are still available at any good parts outlet. Well worth the expense.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Jon S

I hate to bring up the discussion of hose clamps, but in 1958 the Corbin heater hose clamps of 1957 were replaced with a worm type clamp and the Radiator hose clamps went from Tower to the same worm type clamp.  The only Corbin clamps in 1958 were on the Power Brake hose.

I'm surprised that Cadillac would have reverted back to Corbins in 1961.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Grant Owen

Here we go again Jon STOP giving wrong advice worm drive hose clamps commonly called Jubilee clamps were an English design clamp and were NEVER used on any GM product in the 50's & 60"s , they may have been used by a service department if the clamps were changed but they never came from the factory with Jubilee (worm drive hose clamps)..

Dan LeBlanc

There is a HIGHLY original 58 Series 62 Sedan on eBay right now that appears to NEVER have been messed with under the hood (no paint work, etc) and it is clearly sporting tower clamps.  Seller claims 11,550 miles and it just looks the part.

Listing here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-Other-Hardtop-Sedan-/141870623922?forcerrptr=true&hash=item210825ecb2:g:-TEAAOSwwPhWjZ6E&item=141870623922

Full photos here:

http://3092.ecarlist.com/web/ebay_photos/21441789/
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Jon S

Dan -

I have seen that Series 62 before.  The engine compartment has several glaring things incorrect beyond the Tower clamps.  For starters, the incorrect Black Power Steering Pulley - Should be Cadillac Blue, The painted over Oil Filter white lettering that is non-existant. 

Don't get me wrong, it is a very nice preserved example . . . a bit over-priced.

Grant -

I have provided three examples (pictures) of original unmolested 1958's with the factory worm gear radiator hose clamps in the past.  You choose to believe what you want.  I know the complete history of my dad's purchased new 1958 and it still has the original clamps in place.  I choose not to argue the point further.  I tried to provide authenticity information via this Forum.

BTW, I have never heard of "Jubilee" clamps, but Ideal clamps are similar to what was used in 1958 without so many adjustment cutouts as Ideal's are universal clamps.

As to Servicing the 1958, my dad and I did all routine servicing ourselves - oil changes, anti-freeze flushes, hose changes, brake fluid/transmission checks, etc.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Jon S

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on January 20, 2016, 07:35:44 AM
There is a HIGHLY original 58 Series 62 Sedan on eBay right now that appears to NEVER have been messed with under the hood (no paint work, etc) and it is clearly sporting tower clamps.  Seller claims 11,550 miles and it just looks the part.

Listing here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-Other-Hardtop-Sedan-/141870623922?forcerrptr=true&hash=item210825ecb2:g:-TEAAOSwwPhWjZ6E&item=141870623922

Full photos here:

http://3092.ecarlist.com/web/ebay_photos/21441789/

They claim that it is the original paint on the car - Cadillac never had over-spray/dribble inside the trunk on the insulation material.  I included a picture of the ebay car trunk and my trunk interiors:

Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Jason Edge

Regarding hose clamps for 1963 and 1964 Cadillacs that I specialize, I have looked to the Serviceman Bulletins, original literature, including the shop manual, spec manual, data book, etc, to confirm hose clamps. The  Serviceman bulletins in particular usually have various engine compartment pictures and illustrations such as the two inserted below with the Tower Clamps used on radiator hoses and the Corbin Clamps used on heater hoses as an example. I have also pulled in 44 parts cars and put the original tower and other clamps aside to inspect. They had date stamps, which is a big clue as to their correctness for that era.

For example I just reached in my box and the first two Tower clamps I pulled indicate

Wittek MFC CO
Chicago, IL
PAT 2183175

then to the right
2 1/2
then the date
2/63

Another one has the same thing except the date 1/64

These are consistent with the model year of the car, and the original literature including
the Serviceman Bulletins, and given the fact that ALL 44 parts cars I have brought in that had a tower clamp had similar and consistent date stamps, I conclude that is the correct radiator hose clamp for the 1963 and 1964 Cadillacs.

With that I will make two more observations:

First: Could Cadillac have ever used another type of clamp... say if they run out of a certain stock, yes, but it should have a date stamp or some other type code that could confirm it is from the era. 

Second: Do things get changed and forgotten after 50, 60 or 70 years, or perhaps remembered differently? Absolutely!  In dealing with two specific model years I have had people argue this and that because that is all they have known, or what they remembered.   Do our memories fail us? Absolutely. As much as I think I know about the 63's and 64's, I am constantly finding things I have forgotten, or the grey matter had somehow been altered to think something else.  Sometimes it is almost embarrassing how the mind works.

So not speaking for the 60 Hose Clamps, but did want to convey what I consider the main evidence (original literature and date stamps and the like), and that we humans do make mistakes.

Here are a couple of quick Serviceman Bulletins I pulled up from 64 showing hose clamps:

Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Jon S

Jason -

Great posting!  If only Cadillac had affixed a radiator hose clamp in this picture from the 1958 Shop Manual Supplement:

For some reason, the Forum no longer accepts pictures from my Apple6 phone - sorry for the smaller picture.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

n2caddies

Well thank you everybody for the suggestions. As we don't yet have a 59/60 authenticity manual for reference it looks to me the tower radiator hose clamps and Corbin on the heater hoses win and are the ones I will use.  I believe the Corbins were used on the vacuum lines at the brake booster and rubber fuel lines to steel tubing connections.  I saw the molded 5/8 and 3/4 heater hoses on fusick's  web site and it looks like they have the GM markings on Them.  I believe the other GM cars used them as well with the same markings and are available from some of their restoration suppliers. Fusick also has the ribbed ones as does Mcveys by the foot and I have seen those on 59s in the past but they are not as neat as the molded ones.
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

76eldo

Good to know.  The Fusick guys are very nice to deal with.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv