News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 transmission cooler

Started by kkarrer, January 21, 2016, 07:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkarrer

Hello,
    Would any of you guys happen to know of a source for the transmission cooler for a 1956? I think the ones on the later 55 Eldorados were the same and I know a change was made in 58 to a different cooler, but I don't know if 57 would work.  I have one from my 56, but I'm sure that it needs to be flushed out and perhaps sealed as I don't want anything getting into my newly rebuilt transmission. Any suggestions for another cooler or for a way to seal and clean the inside of this original one would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ken Karrer
CenTex Reg. Dir.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz

Glen

From the Master Parts Book

HTH
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

CEC #20099

Ken: Suggest you try to find an older radiator shop that still has the acid tanks. Run it thru their tanks & pressure test both trans & coolant sides for leaks. Sealant is out. It either holds pressure or it has to be repaired / replaced. In 1970, mine was a daily driver, & cooked the trans fluid, in one city trip. I soaked it in warm acid on the bench/ flushed & neutralized it, put in back in the car with new fluid, & had no further problems.

Possibly, someone has done this with an ultrasonic cleaner, as those old Rad shops are tough to find.
CEC #20099