News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Sealant between bell housing and hydramatic case?

Started by 48caddymn, January 21, 2016, 08:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48caddymn

I just installed an external gasket kit in my 1948 hydramatic tranny.  When I pulled the bell housing from the transmission case, I noticed the previous owner used some sealant between the two.  I'm in the process of bolting the bell housing back onto the case again and would like to know if I need any sealant between them? I'm not sure why sealant was used since I dont think any fluid comes close to this area??

Dan

Bobby B

Dan,
HI. It's a paper thin gasket. I've opened a few up and never seen one with sealant. Sometimes people substitute due to lack of knowledge or just plain laziness. The correct thickness is important from the case forward on the Hydramatic. Hope this helps!
                                                                          Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

48caddymn

Thanks Bobby; since there are no fluid passages in this area I'm still not sure why any gasket is needed.........

Dan